Does anybody remember from way back the jelly roll cakes with the coconut on top? They were yellow sponge cake with raspberry jelly inside all rolled up and covered with coconut. I loved them, and thanks to my grandma she would always buy me one when we went to Ford’s Market in Hagerstown, Indiana.
I still like rolled cakes with all the different flavors and yummy fillings, plus they look so fun rolled up. I have had this recipe for Banana Nut Cake Roll a long time and use to make it for parties, then the recipe got tucked away in my stacks of papers only to be forgotten. How sad.
My mission is to revise some of my recipes to make roll cakes. After much digging and sorting I found my recipe; looking a bit brown around the edges and stained from chocolate. What I like about this cake roll is that the cream cheese filling and cake are baked together and then rolled once. The cake is moist and the filling stays creamy, two things I like. Since this filling is baked along with the cake I figure how easy would it be to create other cake flavors and adjust the filling. This is going to be my winter project…rolled cakes!
Here’s the recipe for the Banana Nut Cake Roll to get us rolling……..
Banana Nut Cake Roll
Ingredients for the filling~
8 oz. softened cream cheese-divided
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbls. milk
Ingredients for the cake ~
1/2 cup flour – all purpose
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 egg – separated
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup sugar – divided
1 large banana (1/2 cup) mashed
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Ingredients for the icing ~
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 oz cream cheese (use from the cream cheese in the filling)
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1. Grease and line with parchment a 15″ x 10″ x 1″ jelly roll pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare filling first by mixing 7 oz. of the cream cheese (the 1 oz. will be used for the frosting) and 1/2 cup sugar in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
3. Add the egg and milk and beat until combined.
4. Spread in the prepared pan.
|Cream Cheese Filling|
5. Prepare the cake by combining the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
6. In a small mixing bowl beat the four egg yolks and vanilla for 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and lemon colored.
7. Gradually add a 1/3 cup of sugar and mix until combined.
8. Stir in the mashed banana and nuts.
9. In another mixing bowl beat the four egg whites to soft peaks (the tips will curl)
10. Gradually add in the other 1/3 cups of sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (the tips will stand straight up.)
11. Fold in the egg mixture.
12. Slowly add the flour mixture and fold in just till combined.
13. Spread the cake mixture over the filling mixture, make sure to get into the corners.
|Spreading cake mixture over filling.|
14. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. While the cake is baking prepare a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar to turn the cake out on.
|Cake is done and a nice golden brown.|
|Peeling off parchment paper, this shows the filling.|
16. Start rolling the cake from the narrow end; using the towel to help roll.
|Rolling the cake is the fun part.|
17. Make the frosting by beating together the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar.
|Banana Nut Cake Roll ~ it’s so good|