Let’s celebrate with Red, White and Blue and decorate cookies with sprinkles. If you follow One Hot Oven you know I love sprinkles and these Firework Surprise Inside Cookies are perfect for rolling in these tiny little gems.
I have been waiting patiently to use these nonpareils sprinkles on my favorite cookies. They look so festive with all the colors and the red middle layer. Are you saying WOW right now? Just looking at these sprinkles makes me smile.
The great thing about these cookies is they are so adaptable for all occasions. You can flavor the surprise middle layer or you can just color it. I usually make the middle chocolate, but for today’s cookies, I am making the surprise middle almond flavored and coloring it red.
Check out my other posts for fun and colorful inspirations on these cookies.
The red, white and green Christmas Cookies
The red, white and pink Valentines Day Cookies
The pastel Easter Cookies
See there are all kinds of possibilities; sprinkle colors are endless, so mix and match for your special occasion. Trust me there will be more Surprise Inside Cookies with more colors coming to the blog.
This is a super simple recipe to make and no fancy schmancy ingredients. After you flavor or tint part of the dough, roll both doughs into balls then cover with the sprinkles. Word of caution, these sprinkles like to roll out of your bowl and all over your counter, so use a big bowl. I am still cleaning up spilled sprinkles.
These are really looking pretty awesome.
Baked and ready for your celebration, let the fireworks and cookie fun begin.
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2½ cups AP flour
- 1 tsp. almond flavoring
- Red food coloring
- Colored nonpareils
- In a large bowl mix the butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove ¾ cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the red food coloring and the almond flavoring. Mix well to incorporate
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of butter dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the red almond flavored dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the butter flavored dough and place a red tinted dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes at 375 degrees.
I hope you try these fun and delicious cookies for your next party. Send me pictures of your cookies with colorful sprinkles so I can add to the Surprise Inside Cookie collection.