Grilled cheese sandwiches are my favorite. They are my comfort food, and I especially like them with tomato soup. I have tried all kinds of grilled cheeses with different kinds breads, cheeses and meats. Honestly, my favorite is plain and simple; rye bread, Swiss cheese and ham.
So here is a new twist on the “grilled cheese sandwich” that can be served for dessert. It’s fun, easy, a little bit sweet and very tasty. You can make a platter of these sandwiches up and have them ready in the fridge for dessert. I can’t wait for my next bunco party because these will be a hit with the ladies.
Let’s get started because these sandwiches take basic ingredients and come together in no time. Yeah!
For a printable recipe click “HERE”
Dessert Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
The ingredient list ~
Sara Lee Pound Cake – 10.75 oz. package
Mascarpone Cheese – 8 oz. container
Lemon Curd – optional
Strawberries – 16 oz. container – slice thin
1. Take the pound cake out of the foil container and let sit about five minutes to warm up, then cut into 1/4″ slices. Discard the end pieces, or have a little snack with them.
You can’t beat this pound cake for it’s nice dense texture. It cuts nicely and works great with lots of fruits
2. Mix the mascarpone cheese and two tablespoons of the lemon curd together. This is optional but I really like the lemony flavor.
3 Start heating up your griddle.
4. Spread both sides of the pound cake with the softened butter and place on the hot griddle to toast both sides. Remove to a plate.
I just eat the pound cake like this because I like the caramelized flavor you get when toasting the cake.
5. This is the fun part. Spread one side of your grilled pound cake slice with a layer of the mascarpone cheese and the other pound cake slice with strawberry jam.
6. Lay the sliced strawberries on top of the mascarpone cheese layer.
7. Place the slice with the jam on top of the strawberries and there you have it. So easy. If you want, slice the sandwich in half or a triangle so you can see the pretty filling inside.
8. Cover and place in the refrigerator. These should be eaten within a couple of hours; if they last that long.
I think sliced peaches would be yummy in this sandwich, or how about bananas with a caramel mascarpone. Now that I am thinking about ways to vary this I’m going to have to buy some more pound cake and heat my griddle up.