Pineapple Upside Down Cake is so retro. I have fond memories of this cake coming out of the oven growing up all hot and bubbly. The fun, but scary part was flipping a super hot iron skillet over on a plate to see caramelized pineapple and the sweet red cherry on top. Today I am putting the One Hot Oven twist on this classic dessert and grilling this cake.
Why the grill? The main reason is I just wanted to try to see what I could grill for dessert, and guess what, there are lots of options, like Grilled Cherry Pandowdy or Grilled Cheese with Strawberries.
There are so many great things about this dessert that makes it a go-to recipe.
- This dessert uses 5 simple ingredients ~ canned pineapple, sponge cakes, cherries, brown sugar, and butter.
- You use foil to grill these cakes so there are no messy pans to clean up – oh yeah!
- These cakes take 10 – 12 minutes to grill, that’s it! No heating your kitchen up.
- These are individual servings.
Making these Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cakes are perfect for a family bbq, and a simple camping dessert. You don’t have to be a super duper baker to make these cakes because there is no mixing, measuring, rolling, kneading or frosting required. It just can’t get any easier.
First, you need to tear off some sheets of foil to fit the cake and leave room on the sides. I cut my foil in squares to make this procedure easier, and then put a pat of butter in the center of the foil with the pineapple, cherry and the cake on top. Now put the second piece of foil on top and crimp the edges to seal. You don’t want a snug fit, you should end up with a pillow.
After you finish grilling your burgers or chicken, just clean the grates off and lay the foil packets on top, turn the grill to low and grill for 10 – 12 minutes. Even if you are not grilling your full meal you can just grill your dessert.
- 1 20
ouncecan sliced pineapple
- 1 package pre made dessert sponge cakes (6 to a pack)
- Maraschino cherries
- Brown Sugar
- Aluminum foil
- Turn on the grill for pre heat.
- Make foil square that is 8" x 8" (approximately)
- In the middle of a foil square place a small pat of butter, about ½ a tablespoon
- Put a tablespoon of brown sugar on top of the butter
- Put one pineapple slice on top of the brown sugar
- Put a maraschino cherry in the center of the pineapple slice
- Place the sponge cake upside down over the pineapple slice.
- Take the 2nd pieces of foil and lay over the cake and crimp the edges of both pieces of foil to make a packet Try not to make the packet too little as this grills better with an airier packet.
- Turn the grill burners on low and place the packets on the grates
- Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until you can hear the butter and brown sugar sizzling.
- Remove from the grill and let cool about 10 minutes.
- Turn the foil pack over and carefully open to reveal your cake.
After the cakes are grilled let them sit to cool because I’m here to tell you they are hot!! You can flip the foil pouch over and cut it open and serve in the foil, or move the cake to serving plates. Either way, you will still get to enjoy this sweet little cake that has the same caramelized pineapple and red cherry on top just like the one that comes from your oven.
This is the 3rd recipe for the grilled dessert series with more to come. Don’t forget to check out the Grilled Cherry Pandowdy and the Grilled Cheese with Strawberries both delicious grilled desserts.