In looking at the size of the pan and knowing I wanted each one topped with a crust I made a double crust recipe for the pies just to make sure I have enough dough. If by chance you have extra dough left, which is a good thing in my house, rolled it out to make jelly roll pie tarts. Personally, we just want these tarts for dessert, they are that good. http://www.onehotoven.com/2013/01/jelly-roll-tarts.html.
Having problems with your pie dough? Here is a good tip, get everything cold, the colder the better. Here’s what I do before making the pie dough. I take my butter from the fridge, cut it up into small cubes and put the cubes into the freezer. Next, I measure out the shortening and put that into the freezer in the measuring cup. On warm days I will even put my bowl with the flour into the freezer to get it cold. You don’t want the butter or shortening to be melty, you’ll have a mess on your hands.
Since there was no recipe attached to my pan I needed to figure out how many apples to use. Well to be honest I just eyeballed it and reduced my usual apple pie recipe hoping it would be enough, and it was. I don’t know about you, but many times I’ve followed a recipe to the tee only to have too much filling left over. Just throw that left over pie filling in the freezer and find some other uses for it, such as pancake topping, add it to a cake, fill tortilla and make apple burritos, I could keep going here ……just so many ideas!
These pies are so easy to make. Roll out your dough and cut some circles a little bit bigger than the indentation. I found a lid a little bigger than the circles and cut the dough with that, it worked perfectly. Look at my picture above to see how I cut out the dough circles. Now the fun part, fill the cavities with your filling and with the rest of the dough have some fun and make cute pie toppers, let your imagination go crazy.
I just love apples and cranberries because I like sweet and tart flavors. Plus look how pretty it is in my skillet. By the way, when I make pies I use different types of apples like Granny Smith and Golden Delicious.
- Pie Dough Recipe for a Two Crust Pie ~
- 2½ cups AP flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (cold)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening (cold)
- 6-7 tbls. ice water
- Apple Cranberry Pie Filling~
- 2-3 apples - I like Granny Smith and Golden Delicious mixed
- ½ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbls. lemon juice
- 2 tbls. butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 tbls. flour
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pie Crust ~
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the cold butter cubes and small spoonfuls of the vegetable shortening to the flour.
- Using a pastry cutter, start breaking down the butter/shortening into the flour mixture until a coarse meal forms. You want to see the butter/shortening particles.
- Gradually add the ice water by tablespoons and mix with a fork until the mixture forms a mass.
- Bring this mixture together with your hands. divide the dough into halves and shape into disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for half and hour.
- Apple Cranberry Pie Filling~
- Peel, core and halve the apples. Slice the halves and then cut into small cubes or slices, but into a bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and when hot add the apple mixture. Cook over medium to medium-low heat until the apples start getting soft and the cranberries begin to burst.
- Let the mixture cool while the pie dough is chilling.
- Assembly time~
- On a floured surface roll one disk of the pie dough to a ⅛th thickness and cut into circles to fit into the pie pan. I used a lid from a Pyrex bowl that worked great, just look around your kitchen for a cutter, there's gotta be something that will work. Place the dough into the cavity
- Roll the other pie dough for the toppers.
- Add the cooled apple/cranberry filling a little below the top of the pan.
- Top each mini pie with a topping. I had six pies and made each top crust different. Have fun here.
- Bake at 350 degrees, rotate the pan and bake 5-10 minutes longer. Watch the crusts for browning.
- Let cool and remove from the pans.