It’s Christmas time and that’s when I really like to make candy to give as gifts. This recipe for Almond Toffee caught my eye because it has only two ingredients in it. Instead of getting out the sugar and butter, the recipe calls for melting Werther’s Original Hard Candy and adding sliced almonds. Really! I was skeptical about melting down the candies, after all I like to make everything from scratch; but this sounded like fun.
Let’s make some candy~
Here’s the ingredients (it’s a very short list)
1 – 10 oz. bag of Werther’s Original Hard Candies
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
|2 ingredients – that’s all it takes|
The fun part ~
1. Have two sheets of parchment paper ready, about 9″ x 13″, and a rolling pin.
2. Remove the candy wrappers and place the hard candies in a saucepan.
3. Melt the candies over low heat, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the sliced almonds to the pan when all the candies are melted. Stir to combine.
5. Quickly spread the toffee over one piece of parchment paper. Top with the second piece of parchment paper and roll the toffee with a rolling pin until it has hardened and is as thin as possible.
6. Let cool completely, then break into 1″ pieces.
7. Store in an airtight container.
|Candies ready to be melted|
|Melted and ready to add the almonds|
|Rolled between parchment papers|
|Ready to eat!|