First I must admit that these little tarts are one of my absolute favorites. Thanks to my mother and all her pies, she would make these Jelly Roll Pie Tarts from the leftover pie dough, and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on them. There’s nothing to making these little jewels, they are made from scraps of pie dough and jelly. How easy is that? Today though I am making a full double crust pie recipe so I can serve these tarts for dessert.
These flaky golden brown tarts have become my kids favorite too. I almost always make extra pie dough just to have some left over for these tarts. I usually use jam, but also I have spread the dough with chopped apples, orange marmalade, and sometimes just sugar and cinnamon. Use your imagination. My next batch is going to be savory; I think olive oil, cheese, and rosemary sound really good.
These Quick and Easy Jelly Roll Pie Tarts are assembled in a flash. If using scraps from a pie just reroll the leftover, or if you are making dough just for the tarts roll out the pie dough and spread with jam or your favorite filling.
Roll up the dough and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
Add a generous sprinkle of sugar on top for some glorious sweetness and because I like sprinkling sugar on things.
GOLDEN, FLAKY JELLY ROLL PIE TARTS WITH BLACKBERRY JAM
Quick and Easy Jelly Roll Pie Tarts
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold, cut in small dice
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5-6 tbls water, cold
- 1 tbls white vinegar
- jam or jelly, your flavor choice
Making the pie dough
- In a large bowl mix the flour and salt together.
- Cut in the cold diced butter and the cold vegetable shortening into the flour using a pastry cutter or two knives. The butter and shortening should be the size of peas.
- Mix in the egg, water, and vinegar with a fork until the dough comes together. At this stage, you may need to add additional water in small amounts to bring the dough together.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and bring together in a ball. Cut the ball in half. At this point, you can wrap and chill the dough or continue on to assembling the tart.
Assembling the Jelly Roll Tarts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment or a Silpat.
- On a floured surface roll one of the dough rounds to a large rectangle about 1/8" thick.
- Spread your favorite jam or other fillings of your choice over the dough. I suggest you spread this fairly thin to be able to roll the dough without the filling coming out.
- Roll up the dough starting at the long side. Turn the seam to the bottom. Next gently cut into 1/2" slices and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Generously sprinkle the top of each tart with sugar. Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until your tarts are golden brown.
Baked and ready to serve.
Silpat baking mats are perfect to use when baking with sweet, sticky ingredients; your baked goods won’t stick to the baking sheet and cleaning up is quick and easy.