|Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream Pie|
Want to change it up? Here’s some ideas.
Vanilla Ice Cream – Raspberries – Oreo Crust
Coffee Ice Cream – Chopped Heath Bar- Caramel – Graham Cracker Crust
Chocolate Ice Cream – Chopped Oreo – Fudge – Oreo Crust
Vanilla Ice Cream – Pineapple, Coconut, Caramel – Graham Cracker Crust
Do you have several half eaten cartons of ice cream in the freezer? If the flavors work well with each other then soften them and gently mix together for a marbleized look and add some fun mix-ins. Or, I like to layer the ice creams. One of my favorites is one layer of mint and one layer of chocolate ice cream with crushed up Oreos and fudge in between.
Just open your freezer, cupboard and fridge and see what’s there to use to make your pie. There’s so many possibilities and anything will be yummy.
|Here’s my ingredients – French Vanilla Ice Cream, Shortbread Crust, Strawberries, Strawberry Preserves, Cookies and Whipped Cream. This all makes a beautiful ice cream pie.|
There really is no recipe to making an ice cream pie because you can pretty much add what you want as long as the ice cream doesn’t come oozing out of the pie shell.
How to make an ice cream pie
Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream Pie
- 1 – Keebler shortbread pie crust
- 18 oz. French Vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup diced strawberries (more or less)
- ⅓ cup strawberry preserves
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Pecan Sandies cookies – about 10 – crush to make crumbs
- Measure the ice cream and let soften, this will allow you to smooth it out into a layer. You may want to do this in two steps since you have to set the pie in the freezer a couple of times and the second half of the ice cream may get too soft.
- Clean and small dice the strawberries and mix with the strawberry preserves. Measure out ¼ cup to add to the whipping cream later.
- NOTE: If you just put the strawberries into the ice cream in large slices or large dice they will freeze hard and will be impossible to cut through. The preserves also help keep the strawberries from becoming strawberry ice cubes and adds some extra flavor.
- Put half of the strawberry/preserves mixture in the bottom of the pie shell. Set the pie in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Put the half of the ice cream into the shell over the strawberry mixture and spread to a thin laer. Add the ice cream by small spoonfuls makes it easier to spread out.
- Top with the cookie crumbs. Set the pie in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Whip the whipping cream until stiff and add in the ¼ cup of the reserved strawberry mixture. Whip again to combine.
- Take the pie out of the freezer and add the last half of the softened ice cream, smooth into a thin layer.
- Add the last half of the strawberry mixture. Refreeze here if needed.
- Top with the whipping cream
- Freeze for several hours until firm.
|Berries and Ice Cream|
|Bottom layer with berries|
|First Layer of Ice Cream|
|Layer of cookie crumbs|
|Dollops of ice cream on the crumbs|
|Another layer of strawberries|
|Pie is ready|
Here is another recipe from a previous post using strawberries. This makes a perfect dessert for a party. Strawberry Chardonnay Gelee
Want to know how to keep your strawberries fresh – “How to keep strawberrries fresh”