Mandarin Orange Scones
These scones are very moist with bits of mandarin oranges and covered in a sweet orange glaze.
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 orange reserve 1 teaspoon for the glaze
- 6 ounces fresh mandarins chopped, about 2
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-2 tsp. fresh Mandarin orange juice
Mixing the Dough
Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
Cut in butter then add the buttermilk, orange zest, and Mandarin oranges pieces.
Turn dough onto a well-floured board and knead the dough; add flour as needed.
Roll or press the dough into and a round disk about 1/4" thick then cut into eight 1-inch wedges. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
Sweet Orange Glaze
Combine confectioners' sugar, orange zest, and enough fresh orange juice to make a runny glaze.
Pour glaze over warm scones.