Are you baking for the holidays? This recipe for Chocolate Chip Peppermint Scones takes a traditional scone and makes it a lovely holiday treat. You will love these rich and tender scones with mini chocolate chips and peppermints inside, and a crunchy candy cane topping on top. These are so festive and perfect for your Christmas brunch or a holiday tea.
~chocolate and peppermint are such a classic pairing ~
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I actually had this recipe in mind to pair with one of my favorite tea, Golden Assam. This rich dark tea with its malty flavor pairs so well the robust flavors in the scones. So after you make these scones and brew a pot of tea take a moment to relax and enjoy a bit of solitude from the busyness of the holidays.
Tea and Scones
The wonderful thing about making scones is they take no time at all. You can change up the recipe and add your favorite flavors and toppings. Scones can be shaped in wedges or circles, but however you like them, they will be beautiful and crusty, and moist and tender on the inside. In other words, they will be delicious.
Ingredient for Chocolate Chip Peppermint Scones
- Baking Powder
- Mini chocolate chips
- Powdered Sugar
Baking tips for the perfect homemade scones
The secret to making moist and tender scones is to combine the cold butter and flour together and just mix the dough to combine the ingredients. Overmixing will make your scones dense and dry.
Your dough should be a little wet and sticky.
Please don’t knead the dough, you just want to bring all the ingredients together so the dough forms into a ball. Kneading will make the scones tough.
When rolling or patting out the dough, leave the dough thick.
How to make scones from scratch
- Start by putting your dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk everything together.
- Cut the cold butter into very small cubes then add to the flour mixture and toss to coat the butter.
- With a pastry blender, or two knives cut the butter into the flour until pea-sized.
- Mix in the mini chocolate chips. Feel free to nibble on a few!
- Mix the wet ingredients together and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients, gently start stirring with a fork then add the candy cane crunch and finish stirring.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and gently roll into a large circle then cut into circles with a 3″ cutter.
- Alternately, turn the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and form into an 8″ circle then cut into wedges.
- I suggest popping the scones in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before baking to chill the dough so they hold their shape.
- Whisk together egg whites and water then brush on the scones and bake.
I am using candy cane crunch that I buy in bulk because it is easy to use in baking. You can also crush peppermints by putting them in a Ziplock bag then put that into another Ziplock bag, next gently crush the peppermints with a meat mallet, rolling pin or hammer. Be gentle so you don’t end up with crushed peppermints everywhere.
Baked, Glazed and Ready to Eat!
Chocolate Chip Peppermint Scones
How to make the scone batter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour, toss to coat. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter and flour until they are pea size. You can also use two knives to cut the butter and flour.
- Add the mini chocolate chips to the mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir the milk and egg yolks just to blend. Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Gently stir with a fork to begin combining the wet and dry ingredients then add in the candy cane pieces.
- With your hands to gently knead the mixture together until all the dry ingredients are absorbed into the dough and it can be gathered into a moist, shaggy ball. Do not over knead.
- Pat the dough into a large circle and use a 3" round cutter to cut dough into rounds. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the dough with the egg whites mixed with 1 tsp. of water.
- Alternately, turn the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and pat down to make the dough 1" thick and about 8" diameter.
- With a sharp knife cut the dough into 8 wedges and slightly separate. Brush the dough with the egg whites mixed with 1 tsp. of water.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes until the scones are nicely browned.
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Drizzle on the cooled scones and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
The scones are like a sweet little dessert, and to make them extra special, top with a powdered sugar glaze and some crushed peppermints for color and flavor inside and out.
Sweet Chocolate Chip Scones with Peppermints
with a drizzle of peppermint glaze
These scones are just amazing, actually, they are dangerously delicious. I consider these scones to be a dessert, but alas I have been known to have them for my breakfast.
If you like giving baked goods as gifts for the holidays these easy made from scratch scones make a delectable treat to share.
Two favorite recipes from One Hot Oven
Did you know you can buy crushed candy cane? If you are making peppermint bark and desserts needing crushed candy cane then buying candy cane crunch is definitely the way to go. I love copper and these scone cutters are not only pretty but they cut through heavy doughs.