A luscious lemon dessert
|A slice of goodness ~ Lemon Cake Pie|
This pie really delivers with a tangy lemon custard layer on the bottom and a sweet tender cake layer on top. I was surprised that the juice of one lemon provided the right amount of flavor and tang. This is like a three-in-one dessert – pie, custard and cake. What’s not to like?
I am definitely making this recipe again. Try it and let me know what you think.
Lemon Cake Pie
- Crust instructions:
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add the butter and shortening, cut in with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture looks like small peas.
- With a fork, stir in the ice water one tablespoon at a time until evenly moistened.
- Press the dough into a ball, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Filling Instructions:
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg yolks and flour, mix well.
- Add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest; mix in to incorporate.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites into the creamed mixture until no whites show.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.