|A slice of goodness ~ Lemon Cake Pie|
This pie really delivers with a tangy lemon custard layer on the bottom and a sweet tender cake layer on top. I was surprised that the juice of one lemon provided the right amount of flavor and tang. This is like a three-in-one dessert – pie, custard and cake. What’s not to like?
I am definitely making recipe this again and again. Try it and let me know what you think.
- 9" Pie Crust Ingredients
- 1¼ cup AP flour
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup cold butter - cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup cold shortening
- 4-5 tbls. ice water
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 tbls. butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 tbls. flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Juice and grated zest from one lemon
- Crust instructions:
- I a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and shortening, cut in with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture looks like small peas.
- With a fork, stir in the ice water one tablespoon at a time until evenly moistened.
- Press the dough into a ball, flatten and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill for 15-30 minutes.
- Filling Instructions:
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg yolks and flour, mix well.
- Add the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest; mix in to incorporated.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whiles into the creamed mixture until no whites show.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.