A wee little leprechaun asked for something sweet on St. Patrick’s Day and I have the perfect treat, Mint Surprise Inside Cookies. I have a big obsession with these cookies because they are so much fun to make and even more fun to eat.
St. Patrick’s Day Cookies
Just take a bite to find the surprise inside of these cookies!
The best part about these Surprise Inside Cookies is that you can change the colors of the sprinkles on the outside and make the surprise middle layer different colors and flavors.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE for policy details.
In honor of St. Patrick and my husband’s family the “Cassidy’s” I am making our favorite cookies and they will be wearin a bit of green. These sugar cookies are rolled in green nonpareils and white nonpareils and the surprise middle layer is colored green and flavored with mint. Lots of fun colors and flavors in this cookie and they are sure to please the most mischievous leprechaun.
Let’s start baking so we can have a pot of Irish Breakfast Tea and a plate of cookies together.
After you make the cookie dough measure out 3/4 cup and tint green with food coloring and add mint flavoring. This dough will be the surprise middle layer.
Now the fun begins. Using a tablespoon measure out the plain dough and roll into balls. I usually get about 25 – 28 balls. Next using a teaspoon, measure out the same amount of the green/mint dough as the plain dough and roll into balls.
Flatten a large ball in your hand then put the green/mint ball inside the flattened dough and then fold up the dough and roll back into a ball. Here is an important part of making these cookies. You have to roll that just made ball into the sprinkles immediately since the butter in the dough is a bit soft, this way the sprinkles will stick to the cookie dough ball. Make sense?
Just checking, but do you have sprinkles all over your floor and countertop? There is just no stopping these nonpareils from going everywhere.
Pop the cookie dough balls into a 375-degree oven for 11-12 minutes. Meanwhile, this is a good time to brew up a pot of tea.
Surprise Inside Cookies with Mint
Lots of fun colors and flavors in this cookie and they are sure to please the most mischievous leprechaun.
Mint Surprise Inside Cookies
Making and Rolling the Cookies
- In a large bowl mix the butter and shortening until fluffy. Then add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the mint flavoring and the green food color. Note: I just add a few drops of food color until I get the right color. Mix well to combine
Rolling the dough balls
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of the plain dough and roll into 25 - 28 balls. Then measure out 1 teaspoon of the mint flavor dough and roll into the same amount of balls as the plain dough.
- Flatten the plain dough ball and place a mint flavored dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Immediately roll each ball roll in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat rolling and molding each ball.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
Make sure to check out my other colorful Surprise Inside Cookies~
- Red Velvet Surprise Inside Cookies for Valentine’ Day
- Surprise Inside Easter Cookies
- Firework Surprise Inside Cookies
- Surprise Inside Christmas Cookies
separately and mix them, which isn’t so bad since you really need two bottles of nonpareils.
I will leave you with one of my favorite blessing ~