“One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
This post is in partnership with SerendipiTea, all opinions are my own.
Everyone loves a surprise, I know I do, and that is what you get with this tasty buttery-almond flavored Christmas Surprise Inside Cookies with a fudge middle layer. Rolled in red, green and white sprinkles these are the ultimate Christmas cookies and my families favorite. Seriously, who can resist cookie cuteness?
Today I turned on my favorite Christmas songs and started my Christmas baking; it’s that time of year for baked goodies.
These Christmas Surprise Inside Cookies are very easy to make, just divide the dough and make one chocolate and flavor the other dough with almond flavoring. Make sure to have some colorful nonpareil sprinkles for rolling the cookie in and your all set.
Want to get the family involved in your cookie baking, this is a great recipe for kids to help make. They can roll the dough into the balls and then roll in the sprinkles. The cookies bake in 10 minutes and soon you will have a very festive cookie for your cookie exchange or your holiday table. I promise everyone will love these cookies, even Santa.
Rolled and ready to bake.
Surprise Inside Sprinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tbls. cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tbls. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Colored nonpareils
- In a large bowl mix the butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter. Mix well to combine
- Add the 1/4 tsp. of almond extract to the remaining dough.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of almond flavored dough and make 30 balls with the dough
- Roll the chocolate dough into 30 1" balls.
- Flatten the almond flavored dough and place a chocolate dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
Here’s the surprise, a chocolate center with a tender buttery cookie all around.
All I can say is I love the sprinkles.
Remember cookies are for sharing, that means you can eat all the cookies except one!
Like I always say, cookies go best with tea. After a determined search for what tea would bring out the best flavor of these Surprise Inside Sprinkle Cookies, SerendipiTea Dark Chocolate tea is the answer! This unique blend of Oolong and Rooibos teas along with dark chocolate bits and cocoa powder brew into a deep-flavor that pairs with these chocolate buttery cookies. The aroma of the tea reminds me of all the joy of the Christmas season.
Sprinkles are a must for these cookies. Make sure to get plenty to roll your cookies in.
I love loose leaf teas and this tea strainer is the best one I have found. The holes are the perfect size to keep tea from falling into your cup and it is big enough to allow the tea to expand and steep.
Don’t forget to Pin this to your holiday cookie boards.
What is your favorite Christmas cookie? I would love for you to share here on One Hot Oven.
Wishing you all the happiest holiday’s
Blessings ~ Jere’