Everyone loves a surprise, I know I do, and that is what you get with these tasty buttery-almond flavored Christmas Surprise Inside Cookies with a fudge middle layer. Rolled in red, green and white sprinkles these are the ultimate Christmas cookies and my family’s favorite. Seriously, who can resist cookie cuteness?
This post is in partnership with SerendipiTea, all opinions are my own.
tis the season for cookie baking
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE for policy details.
Today I turned on my favorite Christmas songs and started my Christmas baking; tis the season for delicious and colorful made from scratch cookies.
Don’t you love all the holiday colors? That’s one reason why these red, white and green sprinkle cookies are irresistible. Another reason to love these tender sugar cookies is the surprise chocolate layer of cookie inside. It’s like two cookies in one.
Ingredients to make these colorful homemade cookies
- Baking Powder
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Almond Extract
- Christmas colored nonpareil sprinkles
How to Make Christmas Sprinkle Cookies Cookies
- We are going to be rolling dough today, not with a rolling pin but with our hands. Simply roll a tablespoon of the almond-flavored dough and a teaspoon of the chocolate flavored dough into balls.
- Flatten the almond-flavored dough then place the chocolate dough ball inside and wrap the dough around it to make a big ball.
- Make sure to have some colorful nonpareil sprinkles for rolling the cookie in and your all set.
- As soon as you make the large cookie dough ball roll it in the nonpareils.
- That’s it, you are ready to bake some these delightful holiday sugar cookies
Red, White and Green Sprinkles
This is the perfect cookie recipe to get the kids involved in your holiday cookie baking. They can roll the dough into the balls and then roll in the sprinkles; and then, prepare yourself for lots of joy and laughter.
The cookies bake in 10 minutes and soon you will have a very festive cookie for your cookie exchange or your holiday table. I promise everyone will love these cookies, especially Santa.
What’s the Surprise?
Just take one bite to find a fudgy chocolate center inside the cookie.
These cookies are not only perfect for Christmas but all year through. It’s so easy to roll the dough in different colors of nonpareils for different holidays, or maybe sport team colors and just for fun. Sometimes I change the middle filling color and flavor. There are so many options with sugar cookies.
Try these other One Hot Oven Surprise Inside Cookies
For Valentine’s Day make these Red Velvet Surprise Inside Cookies for your sweetie.
To celebrate all things Irish try these Mint Surprise Inside Cookies.
Fill Easter baskets with this pastel Surprise Inside Easter Cookies.
Let’s get patriotic with Firework Surprise Inside Cookies.
Show your team colors like these San Francisco Giants Orange and Black Surprise Inside Cookies.
Let’s get started baking cookies
Surprise Inside Sprinkle Cookies
- In a large bowl mix the butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter. Mix well to combine
- Add the 1/4 tsp. of almond extract to the remaining dough.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of almond-flavored dough and make 30 balls with the dough
- Roll the chocolate dough into 30 1" balls.
- Flatten the almond-flavored dough and place a chocolate dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
The Perfect Holiday Cookie
Remember cookies are for sharing, that means you can eat all the cookies except one!
Like I always say, cookies go best with tea. After a determined search for what tea would bring out the best flavor of these Surprise Inside Sprinkle Cookies, SerendipiTea Dark Chocolate tea is the answer! This unique blend of Oolong and Rooibos teas along with dark chocolate bits and cocoa powder brew into a deep-flavor that pairs with these chocolate buttery cookies. The aroma of the tea reminds me of all the joy of the Christmas season.
Sprinkles are a must for these cookies. Make sure to get plenty to roll your cookies in.
I love loose leaf teas and this tea strainer is the best one I have found. The holes are the perfect size to keep the tea from falling into your cup and it is big enough to allow the tea to expand and steep.
What is your favorite Christmas cookie? I would love for you to share here on One Hot Oven.
Wishing you all the happiest holiday’s
Blessings ~ Jere’