Valentine’s Day is in a couple of weeks and these cookies are a perfect treat. I just can’t resist sprinkles and these Red Velvet Surprise Inside Cookies are not only irresistibly cute, they are also irresistibly delicious.
One bite of these cookies reveals the surprise inside, a chocolaty red velvet center surrounded by a tender almond flavored cookie that is covered in red, pink and white sprinkles. Cute and yummy all in one.
I made the same cookies for Christmas, using red, green and white sprinkles. These cookies are just as cute. And guess what, I am thinking of making these cookies for St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Fourth of July, and maybe Groundhogs Day. The sprinkle colors can be endless.
Ready to bake with me? This recipe is very easy to make, no chilling required, yeah for that!
Make your basic dough, then remove 3/4 up and add powdered sugar, cocoa powder and butter to the dough. To the remaining dough add a teaspoon of almond flavoring. Prepare two cookies sheets with parchment paper and turn your oven to 375 degrees.
Playing with colors.
Now the fun begins, not that the mixing the dough and turning your oven on wasn’t fun, but this is way more fun. Using a tablespoon, scoop the almond flavored dough and roll into balls, then using a teaspoon, scoop the chocolate dough and roll into balls. I made 25 of each.
Flatten one of the almond flavored balls then put the chocolate ball on top and fold over the dough to make a nice ball.
Put your sprinkles in a nice big bowl so you can roll the cookie dough balls around. Place on your baking sheet, and when ready, bake for 12 minutes.
While your cookies are baking go get the broom and dustpan to sweep up all the sprinkles that landed and the floor and rolled clear to the next room.
Now when you open that oven door be prepared to say “Oh how cute.” I swear I say that every time.
Red Velvet Surprise Inside Valentine's Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tbls. cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tbls. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- Colored nonpareils
- In a large bowl mix the butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder, red food coloring and melted butter. Mix well to combine
- Add the 1/4 tsp. of almond extract to the remaining dough.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of almond flavored dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the chocolate dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the almond flavored dough and place a chocolate dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
All done and ready for cookies and tea.
Have a Happy Valentine’s Day
Love sprinkles on cookies, here are my other Surprise Inside creations
Of course, you are going to need some sprinkles, you can get yours below.