“One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
Don’t let the ghouls and goblins scare you away from this Halloween. Give them these deliciously spooky Halloween Surprise Inside Cookies and they will become your best friends.
These cookies have a colorful surprise middle layer that adds some extra fun when eating these little gems.
If you follow One Hot Oven you know I love these cookies because you can make them in so many different colors and flavors to match all the seasons, holidays and events.
Today’s cookies have a cinnamon flavored mid layer that is tinted dark orange, surrounded by a rich buttery cookie. The non-pareil mix is a Halloween favorite of orange and black. It’s just a bit spooky.
Another fun idea is to make these cookies candy corn colors of orange, yellow and white. Like I said the possibilities are endless.
Get your sprinkles ready and let’s make some cookies. After you make the dough measure out 3/4 cup and tint this dough orange and add cinnamon. Now roll this dough into 25 – 1″ balls and roll the other dough into larger balls using about a tablespoon of dough.
Here is the fun part to making these cookies. Flatten the larger dough ball then put the smaller dough ball on top of that and fold the dough around the smaller ball. That’s it, is super easy. Just don’t tell anyone you put that surprise in the cookie.
Right after you roll the two dough balls together immediately roll the balls into the nonpareils so they will stick to the dough. This part is super duper important because those nonpareils will not stick if you let the dough balls sit for a while. Trust me on this one.
Are you excited to see the baked cookies, here they are, baked and ready to serve? No one knows whats lurking inside the cookies.
Here’s your simple recipe.
Halloween Surprise Inside Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- Orange food coloring
- 5 oz. or more Colored nonpareils
- In a large bowl mix the butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Add the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the orange food coloring and cinnamon. Mix well to incorporate
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of butter dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the orange cinnamon flavored dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the butter flavored dough and place an orange-tinted dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes at 375 degrees.
Need sprinkles, of course you do and you can find them right here.
Check out One Hot Oven’s other Surprise Inside Cookes for some sprinkle inspiration.
Happy Baking to all.