Don’t let the ghouls and goblins scare you away from this Halloween. Give them these deliciously spooky Halloween Surprise Inside Cookies and they will become your best friends.
These cookies have a colorful surprise middle layer that adds some extra fun when eating these little gems.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE for policy details.
If you follow One Hot Oven you know I love these Surprise Inside Cookies because you can make them in so many different colors and flavors to match all the seasons, holidays and events.
Today’s Halloween cookies have a cinnamon flavored mid-layer that is tinted dark orange and is surrounded by a rich buttery cookie. The non-pareil mix is a Halloween favorite of orange and black. It’s just a bit spooky.
What are nonpareil sprinkles?
Also known as hundreds-thousands, nonpareils or non-pareils’s are tiny little balls of colorful decorative confectionery made of sugar and starch. The great thing about using these sprinkles is all the colors you can buy. For instance, the orange and black mix I am using today and the ever-popular rainbow mix. You can buy single colors and mix and match to your liking.
Another fun idea is to make these cookies candy corn colors of orange, yellow and white. Like I said the possibilities are endless.
Get your sprinkles ready and let’s make some cookies
Here is your cookie ingredient list
- Baking Soda
- Orange Food Color
- Orange and black nonpareil sprinkles
How to make Halloween Cookies
There are several steps to make these cookies, but I promise they are simple.
First, make the dough measure out 3/4 cup and tint this dough orange and add cinnamon. Now roll this dough into 25 – 1″ balls and roll the other dough into larger balls using about a tablespoon of dough.
Here is the fun part of making these cookies. Flatten the larger dough ball then put the smaller dough ball on top of that and fold the dough around the smaller ball. That’s it, is super easy. Just don’t tell anyone you put that surprise in the cookie.
Right after you roll the two dough balls together immediately roll the balls into the nonpareils so they will stick to the dough. This part is super duper important because those nonpareils will not stick if you let the dough balls sit for a while. Trust me on this one.
Are you excited to see the baked cookies, here they are, baked and ready to serve? No one knows what’s lurking inside the cookies.
Halloween Surprise Inside Cookies
- In a large bowl mix the butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Add the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the orange food coloring and cinnamon. Mix well to incorporate
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of butter dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the orange cinnamon flavored dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the butter flavored dough and place an orange-tinted dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes at 375 degrees.
Orange and Black Halloween Cookies
Need sprinkles, of course, you do and you can find them right here.
Check out One Hot Oven’s other Surprise Inside Cookes for some sprinkle inspiration.
Happy Baking to all.