Don't let the ghouls and goblins scare you away from Halloween, give them these deliciously spooky Halloween Sprinkle Sugar Cookies that have a surprise cinnamon filling, and they will become your best friends.
"The middle filling is such a fun surprise"
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
If you follow One Hot Oven you know I love these fun sprinkle cookies that have a surprise middle layer. The best thing about this easy to make recipe, besides all the colorful sprinkles, is that you can use so many different colors of sprinkles and flavor the surprise filling to match all the seasons, holidays, and events.
I have made these sprinkle cookies for
Weddings - use the brides wedding colors for the sprinkles
Christmas - make a batch with red, green, and white sprinkles and give these cookies as gifts, and save a few for you.
Valentine's Day - pretty in pink and red sprinkles with a bright red surprise middle layer.
Birthdays always need a sweet treat so bake a batch in camo colors or maybe use rainbow sprinkles
Easter - pretty pastel sprinkles cover these cookies with a delicious raspberry middle layer that are perfect to add to Easter baskets.
Today's Halloween cookies have a cinnamon-flavored mid-layer that is tinted dark orange and is surrounded by a rich buttery sugar cookie. The non-pareil mix is a Halloween favorite of orange and black. It's just a bit spooky.
- I have made these sprinkle cookies for
- These are the perfect Halloween cookies - Why you ask?
- What are nonpareil sprinkles?
- You need Sprinkles
- Let's bake cookies
- Baking tips from One Hot Oven
- Pin now for later!
- Some of my kitchen favorites for Halloween
- Here are a few fall recipes from One Hot Oven
- Happy Fall Baking
These are the perfect Halloween cookies - Why you ask?
This is an easy recipe - basically, you are making a sugar cookie and tinting and flavoring some of the batter.
Do you like chilling cookie dough? I don't, because I want to get my cookies made, and there is no chilling needed for this dough. Yeah!
These cookies travel well and are perfect to take to parties and give as gifts. And seriously, who doesn't like a plate of cookies as a gift?
If you have kids they will love rolling the dough balls and then rolling the dough in the sprinkles.
There is not one witch, superhero, princess bride, or even Spiderella that didn't like these cookies, except for maybe that one Zombie, but hey they really don't need food, so they don't count.
What are nonpareil sprinkles?
Also known as hundreds-thousands, nonpareils or non-pareils's are tiny little balls of colorful decorative confectionery made of sugar and starch. The great thing about using these sprinkles is all the colors you can buy. For instance today I am using the orange and black mix and there is always the ever-popular rainbow non-pareil mix. You can buy single colors and mix and match to your liking.
You need Sprinkles
Another fun idea is to make these cookies candy corn colors of orange, yellow, and white. Like I said the possibilities are endless.
Need sprinkles, of course you do. I have found it hard to find the orange and black nonpareils in one bottle since it is a seasonal color so it is easier to buy one bottle of the orange sprinkles and one bottle of the black sprinkles and mix them together which will give you plenty of sprinkles.
- Baking Soda
- Orange Food Color
- Orange and black nonpareil sprinkles
Let's bake cookies
There are several steps to make these cookies, but I promise they are simple.
Step 1.Beat the butter until creamy and fluffy. Next add the sugar, baking powder, and salt, and then mix to combine.
Step 2. Beat in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until mixed in well.
Step 3. Mix in the flour until a soft dough forms.
Step 4. Remove ¾ cup of the dough and place in a small bowl. Add the orange food coloring and cinnamon to this bowl and mix well.
Step 5. Next, make the dough balls of each color. Measure 1 tablespoon of the plain dough and roll 25 dough balls. Do the same for the orange-colored dough using 1 teaspoon.
Step 6. Pour the sprinkles into a large bowl.
Step 7. Flatten the plain colored dough in the palm of your hand then place an orange dough ball in the center then fold the plain colored dough around the orange-colored dough to form a large ball.
Step 8. Immediately roll the dough ball in the sprinkles until covered and place and a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Step 9. Repeat rolling all the dough balls.
Step 10. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 10 minutes. When done place the cookies on a cooling rack.
Right after you roll the two dough balls together immediately roll the balls into the nonpareils so they will stick to the dough. This part is super duper important because those nonpareils will not stick if you let the dough balls sit for a while. Trust me on this one.
Are you excited to see the baked cookies, here they are, baked and ready to serve. No one knows there is a hidden layer lurking inside the cookies.
Baking tips from One Hot Oven
- I almost always get 25 dough balls from each color. Roll each color to make sure you have the same amount of dough balls. Sometimes I have to pinch dough off a couple of balls that may I made too large to make sure I have 25.
- Once you make the large dough ball from the two doughs you need to immediately roll this ball in the nonpareils while the dough ball is still warm and a bit sticky, this will allow the sprinkles to stick to the dough. If you wait the dough will dry out and the sprinkles just won't stick.
- You can make the center dough ball a different color and for these cookies, you can make it black.
Pin now for later!
Some of my kitchen favorites for Halloween
Kitchen towels are always fun and this Bat and Pumpkin Tea Towel has a beautiful vintage look to it. This cute Trick or Treat Platter in black is perfect for displaying your cookies on.
Here are a few fall recipes from One Hot Oven
These Maple Leaf Sugar Cookies are deliciously colorful, everyone loves these fall cookies.
Two of my favorite cake are perfect for fall and this Iced Pumpkin Cake is full of warming spices and has a white chocolate cream cheese frosting that is luscious. Get out your iron skillet for the super easy to make Apple Skillet Cake flavored with maple syrup. It's pretty tasty!
These Maple Acorn Cakelets have a delicious maple flavor with just the right amount of spice.
Does a big bowl of soup sound good right now? I thing soup always needs something to go with it and this Cheesy Farmstand Cornbread is full veggies; perfect with a bowl of hot soup.
Halloween Surprise Inside Cookies
- Kitchenaid Mixer
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 ½ cups AP flour
- ⅛ tsp. cinnamon
- Orange food coloring
- 4 ounces Black nonpareil sprinkles
- 4 ounces Orange nonpareil sprinkles
- In a large bowl mix the butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Add the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla and mix on medium speed until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined and a soft dough forms.
- Remove ¾ cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the orange food coloring and cinnamon. Mix well to incorporate
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of butter dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the orange cinnamon-flavored dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the butter-flavored dough and place an orange-tinted dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Pour the sprinkles into a medium-sized bowl and mix the colors together and Immediately roll the ball in the nonpareils then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for several days.
Happy Fall Baking
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.
Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me , and I’ll be happy to help!
I can't wait to make these for my girls! Fall Sprinkles 2021 u forgot to add
I can't wait to make these cookies for my girls.
Your Halloween cookies look amazing.
"Fall Sprinkles 2021"
I can’t wait to make these and sent them to both my kids away at college ❤️
Fall Sprinkles 2021
Fall Sprinkles 2021
I made these last year for my grandaughters Halloween party, they were just amazing!
Thank you for a superb recipe xx
"Fall Sprinkles 2021"
Can’t wait to try these cookies ! Grand kids will love them - I’m sure!! Anything sprinkle!
Love all of your recipes and your commentary is so delightful and personal.
I am so ready for fall, i love the colors and all the fall flavors. Coming back here to get your cookie recipe for an upcoming party. You are right everyone loves the surprise center filling. "Fall 2021"