This may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE POLICY for details.
Pecan Jam Thumbprint Cookies are on my top 10 list of all-time favorites. These little bite-sized jammy cookies have a delicious buttery brown sugar flavor that everyone loves and a tender crumb that melts in your mouth. And for all of you pecan lovers, these cookies are rolled in finely chopped pecans and baked to a golden brown to give the pecans that nice toasty flavor.
Sweet and Crunchy -Pecan Jam Thumbprint Cookies
The best part about these little cookies is the jam filling. You can put any flavor of jam in the middle, just use your favorite. Today I used my favorite apricot jam. The sweet and tart apricot flavor pairs well with the pecans.
It doesn’t take long to make these cookies and you can mix the batter in a bowl with a wooden spoon. No mixer required.
Here is a list of the simple ingredients you need for these cookies.
- Shortening or Coconut Oil
- Brown Sugar
This dough is nice and soft, but sturdy enough to roll into balls.
Chopping the pecans really fine makes them stick to the dough easier after you dip the cookies in egg whites. I like using manual food chopper for quick jobs like this. So much easier than a knife.
The easiest way to make the little indent in the cookie to hold the jam is with the back of a teaspoon. I have a 1/4 teaspoon that is deep and leaves a perfect indent. However, since these are called Thumbprint cookies, using your thumb is just as easy.
delicious little bite-sized treats that are simple to make
- Mix the cookie batter dough
- Roll the batter into 1″ balls
- Next, roll the balls in egg white – this helps the pecans stick to the balls
- Finally, roll the balls in finely chopped pecans
- Make an indent in the cookie with your thumb or with the back of a 1/4 teaspoon
- After the cookies have baked you may have to make another indent
- Your last step is to add your favorite jam
- All done!
Pecan Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F., and prepare sheet pans with parchment.
- In a large bowl mix the butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until completely mixed.
- Mix in the flour and salt until combined and the dough holds its shape.
- In a small bowl add the egg white and beat slightly.
- Shape the dough into 1" balls then the egg white then roll in the chopped pecans.
- Place the balls 1" apart on the baking sheets then press your thumb or the back of a 1/4 tsp into the center of each dough ball.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until lightly browned. You may need to re-indent the cookies when you remove them from the oven. Cool completely
- Fill each cookie with jam.
At some point in my day a good cup of tea is a must and to pair my tea time with these simple and delicious cookies is such a treat.
Thumbprint Cookie and Tea
For all the pecan lovers try these Pecan Tassies for your next dessert.
This Sweet Nut Braid bread has a soft center filling with toasted pecans.
Try these for your sweetie ~ Valentines Thumbprint Cookies.
I created this handy link for you to save this recipe to your Pinterest board
For small jobs, I still like to use a quick and easy appliance and this food chopper works great for the small amount of pecan you need to chop. I like to use pecan halves and chop them myself. Since the apricot jam is the highlight of this recipe make sure to get a good one. I love copper and these copper measuring spoons add a little bit of pizazz to your kitchen.
Thanks for stopping by today and as always happy baking to you.