You will love these homemade Savory Cotswold Cheese Crackers that are easy to prepare and takes just six ingredients. These crackers are deliciously cheesy, crunchy, salty, and perfect for your cheese tray or snacking.
First Published: January 1, 2014. Last Updated: May 22, 2021. This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page
We eat a lot of cheese at my house, right now there are eight different types of cheese in the fridge; I don’t think that’s too many, do you? Have you heard of Cotswold cheese? It’s one of my favorite cheeses and it is in the fridge specifically for making these crackers.
And these crackers, I could eat the whole batch by myself, they are a bit addictive.
What is Cotswold Cheese?
Cotswold Cheese originated in England and is a semi-hard cow’s milk cheese similar to cheddar cheese that has chives added to it. This delicious golden-yellow cheese has a hearty taste that is creamy and buttery with the extra savory flavor of chives.
Why we love this recipe
- What could be better than snacking on homemade crackers made with your favorite cheese? Yes, you can make this recipe using different cheeses.
- This is also a gluten-free recipe because these crackers are made with rice flour. Try these other rice flour recipes, Rose Petal Shortbread Cookies, and Chai Spice Shortbreads.
- You may think making crackers from scratch is a lot of work but I am here to tell you it is easy to do. Simply mix the dough, roll out the dough and cut the dough into rounds, and bake.
- You do not need store-bought crackers anymore.
- The recipe is quick and easy and makes about 35 to 50 crackers depending on how you cut them. Have fun with the shapes, today I’m making mine round, but making square or diamond shapes would be great too.
- The great thing about making your own crackers is you can customize them any way you want. You can mix cheeses together, add different spices, and bake them in any shape you like.
This recipe takes just 6-ingredients for an easy to prepare recipe
Step 1. Crumble the Cotswold cheese into small pieces for easier processing.
Step 2. Add all the ingredients except the water to the food processor bowl and with short pulses, pulse until the ingredients are coarsely combined.
I recommend using a 4-cup food processor, however, you can mix this in a large bowl with a handheld mixer, or a stand mixer. When mixing in a bowl, crumble the cheese into very small pieces so it mixes in easily.
Step 3. Start adding 1 tablespoon of water to the food processor and process in short bursts until the dough becomes soft and holds together.
Step 4. Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap. Wrap the dough and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Step 5. Once the dough is chilled turn it out onto a floured board and then roll the dough to ⅛″ thickness. Using a 2″ cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
Step 6. Place the dough rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Sprinkle with additional sea salt and bake at 400 degrees F. for 13-15 minutes, until the crackers are golden brown.
This recipe makes about 35 crackers, perfect to set out with appetizers, have as a snack and these crackers are perfect with a good creamy soup.
Check out the golden brown edges on these crackers…they are so good!
Thinner is better to ensure a crispy cracker
You can make any shape of crackers you like, squares, circles, diamonds, or hexagons. Just keep the shapes uniform so they all bake the same.
Make sure to bake the crackers thoroughly and cool completely, then store in an airtight container. If it is humid, bake the crackers an normal, then turn the oven off, open the door and let them cool in the oven.
More than likely the crackers were not rolled thin enough, or baked completely, or cooled completely.
Make sure the unbaked crackers are not touching each other on the baking sheets. This allows the edges to bake properly.
Yes, wrap the dough in plastic wrap, then wrap this in foil or place an an airtight freezer bag for up to three months.
Other flavor combinations
- Cheddar Cheese and Cracked Pepper
- Cojtia Cheese and Chili Powder
- Swiss Cheese and Dill
- Parmesan Cheese and Basil
Favorite One Hot Oven cheesy appetizer recipes
Bake these Pear & Asiago Puff Pastry Pinwheels are filled with pistachios and cranberries for a delicious savory appetizer.
Bite-Sized Swiss Cheese Quiches are my go-to recipe for brunch, they are easy to make and everyone raves about the taste
Cheesy popcorn is always a favorite so pop up a batch of Asiago Cheese Popcorn with a sprinkling of rosemary for a fun movie night snack
Parmesan Puff Pastry Pinwheels are filled with sweet apricot jam and are easy to make with store-bought puff pastry
Cornbread In An Iron Skillet is filled with lots of veggies and cheese
Save this recipe to your Pinterest boards
Savory Cotswold Cheese Crackers
As an Amazon Associate I earn income from qualifying purchases.Share on Facebook Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
- Crumble the Cotswold cheese into small pieces and add to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pull the leaves off the rosemary and chop, and chop the chives. Add both to the food processor bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, and butter to the bowl.
- With the food processor running, add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms into a soft dough that holds together. You may not use all the water.
- Turn the dough out on a piece of plastic wrap, then wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to ⅛" thick, then cut into desired shapes. I used a 2" round cookie cutter.
- Transfer the cracker rounds on the baking sheet using a thin spatula, then sprinkle with additional sea salt. This just takes a small amount of salt.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the crackers are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets.
- Once the crackers are cooled place in an airtight container for one week.
Try these most pinned recipes
This Lemon Pie has a tender layer of cake on top, definitely a unique dessert
Brownies with Peanut Butter Cups are the easiest dessert to make and perfect for the chocolate lover
Follow One Hot Oven
Like what you see? Make sure you are following One Hot Oven for more tasty sweet and savory recipes!
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.