We eat a lot of cheese at my house, right now there are eight different types of cheese in the fridge; I don’t think that’s too many, do you? Have you heard of Cotswold cheese? It’s one of my favorite cheeses and it is in the fridge specifically for making these crispy Savory Cotswold Cheese Crackers.
Why make homemade crackers
- What could be better than snacking on homemade cheese crackers made with your favorite cheese? This is also a gluten-free recipe because these crackers are made with rice flour.
- You may think making crackers from scratch is a lot of work but I am here to tell you it is easy to do. Simply mix the dough, roll out the dough and cut the dough into rounds, and bake.
- The recipe is quick and easy and makes about 35 to 50 crackers depending on how you cut them. Have fun with the shapes, today I’m making mine round, but making square or diamond shapes would be great too.
- The great thing about making your own crackers is you can customize them any way you want. You can mix cheeses together, add different spices, and bake them in any shape you like.
This recipe takes just 6-ingredients
- Cotswold Cheese
- Rice Flour
- Sea Salt – I use fine-grained salt for this recipe
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Chives
How to Make Savory Cheese Crackers
Step 1. Crumble the Cotswold cheese into small pieces for easier processing.
Step 2. Add all the ingredients except the water to the food processor bowl and with short pulses, pulse until the ingredients are coarsely combined.
I recommend using a 4-cup food processor, however, you can mix this in a large bowl. When mixing in a bowl, crumble the cheese into very small pieces so it mixes in easily.
Step 3. Start adding 1 tablespoon of water to the food processor and process in short bursts until the dough becomes soft and holds together.
Step 4. Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap. Wrap the dough and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Step 5. Once the dough is chilled turn it out onto a floured board and then roll the dough to 1/8″ thickness. Using a 2″ cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
Step 6. Place the dough rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. Sprinkle with additional sea salt and bake at 400 degrees F. for 13-15 minutes, until the crackers are golden brown.
This recipe makes about 35 crackers, perfect to set out with appetizers, have as a snack and these crackers are perfect with a good creamy soup.
Other flavor combinations
- Cheddar Cheese and Cracked Pepper
- Cojtia Cheese and Chili Powder
- Swiss Cheese and Dill
- Parmesan Cheese and Basil
What is Cotswold Cheese?
Cotswold Cheese originated in England and is a semi-hard cows milk cheese similar to cheddar cheese that has chives added to it. This delicious golden-yellow cheese has a hearty taste that is creamy and buttery with the extra savory flavor chives.
Try these ingredients and tools
” target=”_blank” rel=”sponsored noopener noreferrer”> Bob’s Red Mill White Rice Flour for all my rice flour recipes with great success.
” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener noreferrer”>four-cup Cuisinart Food Processor is easy to use and perfect for smaller amounts of food and is one of my most used kitchen tools. For rolling out all types of doughs I always use this 100% cotton cloth rolling mat. This mat makes rolling dough easy with hardly any sticking and, when done using, just scrape off the excess dough and flour and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
Favorite One Hot Oven cheesy appetizer recipes
Bake these Pear & Asiago Puff Pastry Pinwheels are filled with pistachios and cranberries for a delicious savory appetizer.
Bite-Sized Swiss Cheese Quiches are my go-to recipe for brunch, they are easy to make and everyone raves about the taste
Cheesy popcorn is always a favorite so pop up a batch of Asiago Cheese Popcorn with a sprinkling of rosemary for a fun movie night snack
Parmesan Puff Pastry Pinwheels are filled with sweet apricot jam and are easy to make with store-bought puff pastry
Cornbread In An Iron Skillet is filled with lots of veggies and cheese
Savory Cotswold Cheese Crackers
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Crumble the Cotswold cheese into small pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor, except the water.
- With the food processor running, add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture forms into a soft dough that holds together. You may not use all the water.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1/8" thick, then cut into desired shapes. I used a 2" round cookie cutter.
- Place the cracker rounds on the baking sheet and sprinkle with additional sea salt.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the crackers are golden brown.
Try these most Pinned recipes
This Lemon Pie has a tender layer of cake on top, definitely a unique dessert
Brownies with Peanut Butter Cups is the easiest dessert to make and perfect for the chocolate lover
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.
Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!