Homemade popcorn is fresh and delicious and always a family favorite for game or movie night. Do you ever crave a more adventurous popcorn, something more than butter and salt? We love making big bowls of Rosemary and Asiago Cheese Popcorn, it’s savory, cheesy and a little salty. Honestly, it’s a bit addicting.
Grating an aged Asiago cheese over warm popcorn adds a bit of nutty flavor and as it melts it gets into all the nooks and crannies of the popped corn.
Make sure when buying Asiago it has the certification of PDO with it. This way you know you are buying the authentic Italian cheese.
If you have some unexpected guest this is a perfect snack to make, everyone can dig into some warm popcorn. Having company for the big game, this popcorn is the solution for that too. Needing a snack just for yourself, you can make a small batch of popcorn and enjoy a bowl all by yourself.
I happen to have several varieties of popcorn and today I am using a Black Jewell popcorn. This is one of my favorites for flavor and it pops into small kernels with thin hulls and truthfully, I love the color.
If you haven’t made homemade popcorn it is easy and fun
- Use a 3-quart saucepan with a handle and a lid.
- Set the pan on the stove at medium-high and add 2 tbls. of oil
- Let the oil get hot then drop in a few kernels of corn, when they start popping add the rest of the corn.
- Put the lid on the pan and wait for the corn to start popping. If you can keep the lid slightly ajar it lets stem out.
- Shake to pan gently over the burner until you don’t hear the corn popping.
- Pour the popped corn in a big bowl and add toppings.
Make sure you have a big container to toss in all the toppings so you can stir it up. And this is super important with popcorn making; make sure to add salt, otherwise, you will just have a bland bowl of popcorn.
Rosemary and Asiago Cheese Popcorn
Savory and cheesy this Rosemary and Asiago Cheese Popcorn is a great flavor combination.
- 2-3 tbls. oil, coconut or canola
- 1/2 cups black popcorn use 1/3 cup yellow popcorn
- 1/3 cups grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tbls. finely chopped rosemary
- 2 tbls. olive oil
- salt to taste
Place the saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and heat.
Place a few kernels of corn in the pot and when they start popping add the rest of the popcorn.
Cover the pan with the lid and gently shake the pan over the burner while the corn is popping.
If you can keep the lid slightly off the pan the stem can escape and the popcorn will be crispier.
Listen for the corn to stop popping then remove from the heat and immediately pour into a large serving bowl.
Pour the olive oil over the popped corn then sprinkle with the rosemary, cheese, and salt to taste.
Stir and enjoy.
savory ~ salty ~cheesey
Here is a little popcorn inspiration for you for, a sweeter treat ~ Cinnamon Apple Caramel Corn.
Don’t forget the popcorn, I used the Black Jewell popcorn and you can find some here.
What’s your favorite popcorn topping? Leave me a comment, because I am always looking for something new to try.
Here is a pin for you too!