There's something undeniably delicious about sinking your teeth into a burger. This Cast Iron Burger recipe is a savory patty perfectly cooked in a cast-iron skillet nestled between two soft buns with a slice of cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. The classic burger!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
This page may contain affiliate links; please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
I admit I love using cast iron for cooking and baking. I like to cook my homemade burgers in a cast iron skillet because it gives them an ideal sear and a delicious caramelization on the outside. Plus, cooking the burgers in their own juices ensures they don’t dry out like they sometimes do on a grill, so you get that juicy burger with lots of flavor.
This also means you can have a great hamburger without a grill!
Try our other favorite hamburger recipes like this Ground Beef and Rice Skillet that cooks in one pan, or this Meatball Pasta Casserole that you can dump and bake all the ingredients into a casserole dish. Both are so easy and so delicious.
Hamburger Ingredients and Variations
- Hamburger - Use one pound of ground beef. I prefer the 80/20 ground chuck blend to ensure enough fat for flavor and moisture. A 85/12 blend also works well.
- Seasonings - Garlic Powder, kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Cheese - I'm a fan of melty cheese on a burger and prefer cheddar cheese, but add what you like, or go cheeseless.
- Buns - Use a soft, sturdy, and flavorful bun.
- Olive oil for the pan, or use vegetable oil.
- Condiments - Add your favs.
- Add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce if you like.
- You can also add onion powder if you don't like raw onions on the burger.
Before cooking the burgers, ensure your cast iron pan is properly cleaned and seasoned to get the best-tasting skillet burgers. This guide on how to season a cast iron skillet shows you the steps to season your skillet perfectly.
How To Cook A Hamburger In A Skillet: Step By Step
Step 1. Add the hamburger and the seasonings to a large bowl and gently mix to combine.
Step 2. Divide the hamburger mixture into four equal portions and place on a tray while your skillet heats up.
Step 3. Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat for two minutes, then add the olive oil. You can also use a large skillet of your choice.
Step 4. Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook for about 4 minutes for medium-rare, or 5 minutes for medium. Flip the burgers, top with the slices of cheese, if using, and cook for another 4 minutes. The cooking time can vary depending on how you like your burgers.
Step 5. Top each patty with a slice of cheese and continue cooking until done.
To cook a medium burger, the internal temperature of the meat should reach between 140 and 145 degrees Fahrenheit. This will result in a juicy burger with a light-pink center and a slightly firmer interior texture.
Step 5. Place the cheeseburgers on the buns and top with your favorite toppings.
The whole family will love these great-tasting restaurant-style hamburgers for supper or make them for a cookout.
Now that the burgers are cooked, it's time to make a dessert, like these cakes baked in cast iron. Try this Vanilla Cast Iron Cake, this rustic Apple Skillet Cake and the very fruity Apricot Upside Down Cake with Cherries.
Keep cooked hamburgers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
You can reheat the burger in the oven wrapped in foil for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Or place it on a plate and microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the size and thickness of the hamburger.
Note: Reheated hamburgers may not taste as good or have the same texture as when freshly cooked, but this method will help you enjoy a warm and tasty burger.
Yes, ensure you use a high-quality frying pan for the best results since the burgers need to cook at high temperatures.
These recipes go well with burgers
Cast Iron Skillet Burgers
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Optional Topping Ingredients
- Cheese slices Use your favorite, we like cheddar cheese
- Tomato slices
- Leaf lettuce
- Onion slices
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mix the ground beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
- Divide the dough into four 4-ounce patties. Make them a bit bigger than the hamburger buns because the burgers will shrink when cooked.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat to medium-high heat for about two minutes. Add the olive oil.
- Add the patties, and cook for about 4 minutes for medium-rare and 5 minutes for medium. Flip the burgers, top with cheese slices if using and cook for another 4 minutes.
Building the burgers
- If you like, toast the burger buns.
- Top the bottom bun with the hamburger or cheeseburger, pickles slices, tomato slice, and lettuce then add the top bun.
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say hello or tell me what you are baking; I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or want to chat about the recipe? Please visit my About page for information, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.