Creamy, and cheesy this Hashbrown Hamburger Casserole is the perfect easy meal for a busy night that the whole family will enjoy. Filled with ground beef, vegetables, potatoes, and lots of cheese this is a hearty and thrifty dish.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for policy details.
Are you looking for something that is quick and easy to serve for dinner? This casserole is hands down a family favorite and I was able to sneak in a whole bag of frozen veggies. What I really like about this hamburger casserole is I can prep it and bake it in one hour.
And, if you want, you can make this casserole ahead of time and bake it the next day, perfect for those weeknights when everyone is busy but wants some comfort food for dinner.
Bake this similar Egg Sausage & Hashbrown Casserole for breakfast that's full of cheesy potatoes in an egg custard. It's so good, and sometimes I even serve this for supper!
❤️Why you will love this dish
- It's quick and easy to make, it's almost effortless
- This dish is pure creamy and cheesy comfort food
- You get to sneak some veggies into this dish
- You can make this casserole ahead of time and bake it later, and it reheats easily too!
You need simple ingredients for an easy recipe
- Ground Beef - one pound of ground beef is all you need
- Onion - or, if you have those picky eaters that won't touch onions (my daughter), just add a teaspoon of onion powder.
- Cream of Chicken soup - adding a can of soup will add creaminess to the hamburger meat.
- Vegetables - a bag of frozen mixed vegetables are easy to toss into this casserole.
- Shredded potatoes - I find the refrigerator hash browns work the best for this recipe
- Butter - just half a stick of butter
- Cheddar Cheese - you will mix the cheese into the potatoes and on top of hash browns
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
🥣 Let's bake
Step 1. Chop the onion and add it to a large skillet with olive oil. Saute the onion then add the hamburger, salt, and pepper.
Step 2. Cook the hamburger until browned and cook through. Drain any excess grease.
Step 3. Add the frozen vegetables to the brown ground beef then mix the soup and milk and add to the skillet.
Step 4. Stir the mixture until thoroughly combined.
Step 5. Pour the ground beef mixture into a greased casserole dish
Step 6. Melt the butter then add it to a large bowl with the hash brown potatoes, and half of the cheese, and mix together.
Step 7. Spread the potatoes over the ground beef mixture and bake in a 375-degree oven for a half hour.
Step 8. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the casserole and bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are golden brown.
This casserole is just so delicious with cheesy potatoes and a creamy meat filling. We like to serve this all-in-one dish with this Caesar Salad with Bacon and when corn is in season, we like to make Grilled Corn on the Cob. Add these quick to make Homemade Biscuits, they can bake right along with this casserole.
Variations and Great Additions
Casseroles are meant to be easy and thrifty, made with basic pantry ingredients. Feel free to change up what you add to this recipe and make it your own, and use what you have on hand.
- You can make this with ground sausage or use half sausage and half ground beef.
- You can also use Italian sausage for a different flavor.
- Try different soups like cream of mushroom, cream of celery, and tomato, or use sour cream.
- Add in extra vegetables or make this casserole with just one veggie.
- A great addition to this casserole is to top it with french fried onions or chopped green onions.
- Add more seasonings, such as garlic or garlic powder, rosemary, cumin, taco seasonings, or oregano.
More Delicious recipes
Bread and Butter Pickles make a tasty side and they are super easy to make.
These easy Peach Bars with Raspberries is a fruity dessert that would be perfect serving along with this casserole.
Yes, there is a difference, ground beef is made directly from pieces of meat trimmings which also includes fat and for ground beef, it can only be 30% fat. Hamburger is ground beef that has more fat added to it.
Hashbrown Hamburger Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn income from qualifying purchases.Share on Facebook Pin Recipe GrowSaved!
- Heat the oven to 375° F. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Dice the onion and add it to a skillet set over medium-high heat with the olive oil. Cook the onion until it is translucent then add the ground beef. Stir and cook the hamburger until it's cooked and brown. Drain off any excess grease.
- In a small bowl add the can of soup and mix it with the milk.
- To the cooked ground beef add the frozen vegetables, the soup, and salt and pepper. Mix this thoroughly and then add to the baking pan and spread it to the edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded potatoes, 1 cup of cheese, and the melted butter. Stir to combine and then spread over the hamburger mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes, then add the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese then continue baking for 15 minutes until the hash browns are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Let the casserole sit for about 15 minutes before serving. This will let it firm up, but of course, you can dig right in.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave.
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? My contact information is on my about page, and I’ll be happy to help.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.