We all love a warm hearty homemade breakfast that’s quick to make and this Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is simply the best. This dish is perfect to serve for breakfast, brunch, and holiday breakfasts, but you can also bake this on Sunday and let the family heat up a slice throughout the week.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
Don't you love a casserole that takes just minutes to prepare? This hashbrown dish satisfies a hungry appetite for any meal, I serve this supper too. The first time I made this the family plowed through the whole dish, then they asked if I could make another one for later.
This dish is also my go-to recipe to make for holiday mornings when I need to feed a lot of people. Come on over for Christmas, Easter, or your birthday and this is what I’ll make for you.
❤️Why we love this casserole
- Well to start off, this dish is full of cheesy goodness from the cottage cheese and the cheddar cheese, that bakes up nice and creamy.
- The breakfast casserole ingredients are all easy to find, nothing fancy is needed just a bag of shredded hashbrown potatoes, eggs, sausage, cottage cheese, and cheddar cheese.
- It takes minutes to prep. Just cook the sausage and stir in all the other ingredients then bake.
- You can make and bake this one day and heat it up for later. It's also an easy make-ahead dish.
- Try pairing this casserole with a salad for an easy supper.
- Not that I don't like soup, but this casserole is made without soup.
My family are cheese freaks, we eat too much of it, but we like to serve this casserole with our favorite Cheesy cornbread recipe that is also full of fresh veggies and two kinds of cheese. And, if you are a biscuit person, which I don't blame you for that, try our favorite homemade biscuit recipe.
There are so many ways to change up this dish with different tasty fillings
- Substitute bacon or ham for the sausage, or use turkey sausage.
- For more of a dinner casserole make it with hamburger
- Add some extra veggies, like chopped mushroom, zucchini, green chilis, or tomatoes
- Try Swiss, feta, Munster, Pepper Jack, or Monterey Jack cheeses, and try a half and half cheese blend.
- You can go crazy on herbs, by adding rosemary, thyme, or cilantro.
🥘Let's make a casserole
Step 1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. You can use various sizes of baking dishes, but I use an 11 x 7” dish that makes a nice thick slice. Don’t go any bigger than a 13” x 9” dish. Make sure to grease the bottom and sides.
Step 2. Chop the onion and set it aside. Heat a medium-sized skillet and cook the sausage over medium heat until browned. Use a spatula or a heavy spoon to break up the meat as you cook it.
Step 3. Once the sausage starts to brown add the onions and continue cooking the sausage until it’s brown and cooked through. When done drain any excess grease.
Step 4. In a mixing bowl add the eggs and whisk them until they are broken up. Chop the red pepper, and the parsley.
Step 5. Add the potatoes, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine.
Step 6. Mix the sausage and onion mixture into the egg mixture and stir until combined.
Step 7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Tip - You can cover and refrigerator at this point if you want to bake this for later. Add an extra 10 minutes if baking this after refrigeration.
Step 8. Bake the casserole uncovered for 50 minutes to one hour, until the top is browned. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
You can make this casserole a day ahead of when you want to bake it. Just make the casserole, put it in the pan then cover it with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. When ready bake as directed.
Freeze the unbaked casserole
You can freeze this casserole unbaked. Just mix the ingredients and put them in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and then with foil then freeze. When ready to bake, let the casserole thaw and bake as instructed above.
Freeze the baked casserole
Or, go ahead and bake this tasty hash brown sausage casserole, let it cool then cut into squares. Wrap each square in foil or place it in a freezer container, this makes it easy to have individual servings for a quick meal.
❔Breakfast casserole FAQs
Even though they both can have the same filling, a casserole is baked in a baking dish, and a quiche is baked in a pie shell.
Can breakfast casseroles be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole either unbaked or baked.
Bake the casserole until it is done in the center, it can be a little jiggly when removed from the oven, but it is best to test the center with a knife to see if it is done.
Make sure any meat you are using has been fully cooked and drained of fat.
High moisture vegetables like tomatoes can add extra liquid that can make the casserole runny. If using, make sure they are seeded and drained.
More great recipes
Easy Egg Sausage & Hashbrown Casserole
As an Amazon Associate I earn income from qualifying purchases.Share on Facebook Pin Recipe GrowSaved!
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 20 ounce shredded hash brown potatoes I used Simply Potatoes, this should be four cups
- 1 ½ cups small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 small onion peeled and cut in half
- 1 red pepper you will need about 3 ounces chopped
- 6 large eggs
- parsley optional
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Use an 11 x 7 baking dish that has been greased.
- On a cutting board, core and seed the red pepper, then slice and chop into small dice to make 3 ounces. Dice the onion. If using the parsley, chop the leaves on the cutting board and set it aside.
- In a large skillet add the sausage and cook over medium heat breaking it up into chunks as it cooks. Before the sausage is completely cooked, add the chopped onions and continue cooking the sausage until browned.
- In a large mixing bowl add the eggs and whisk to break them up. Add the shredded potatoes, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, red pepper, salt, and pepper. Stir this egg mixture to combine.
- Stir in the sausage until combined, then pour this mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes to an hour, until the top is browned and the center of the casserole is set. The center of the casserole will be a bit jiggly when done, but will continue cooking once removed from the oven. Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cover any leftovers with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator for up to five days.