What is your favorite comfort food? One of mine is a hot bowl of Apple Cranberry Oatmeal with Spices. I know you are thinking BORING, but I could eat this every morning. It’s warm, creamy and the smell of cooked apples and cinnamon in the morning makes me enjoy my breakfast even more. Today I am sharing how to make this classic breakfast recipe
Morning Comfort Food
Just imagine a cold winter day having a bowl of hot oatmeal with cinnamon and nutmeg that is full of apples and tart cranberries. Want to make it even better, top this off with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a splash of hot milk for some extra sweetness and creaminess. Hey, this is a serious bowl of oatmeal, you know the kind that keeps you full all morning and sticks to your ribs.
What are rolled oats?
Rolled oats are also known as Old Fashioned Oats.
Rolled oats are produced from the oat groat and are actually steel-cut oats that have been steamed then rolled and flattened.
Oats are naturally gluten-free, however, if other gains such as wheat and barley are processed in the same facility they can contaminate the oats. Look at the box labels to be sure.
Tips for making oatmeal
- This 0atmeal recipe is really easy to prepare. I use the Old-Fashioned type because I like the texture. The key to making creamy oatmeal is using half water and half milk and as it gets thick, make sure to stir.
- Adding the rolled oats to cold liquid gives a creamery texture over adding the oats to the hot liquid that results in a chewier oatmeal. Who knew?
- If your cereal gets too thick add some extra water to the pan because adding too much extra milk will make the oatmeal gummy, and you know what that tastes like!
- If you are a cranberry lover like my family buy extra bags of cranberries in the fall and freeze them. This way you can have cranberries after the season is over and can make recipes like Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Cranberries, Apple Cranberry Galette, or Cranberry Orange Scones.
- No need to defrost the cranberries, just add them into the saucepan.
- If you are in a hurry in the morning and want a quick breakfast, just peel and dice an apple the night before and put it in the fridge, then put the oatmeal and spices in a pot. All you have to do in the morning is to add the liquid and cranberries to the oatmeal and turn the heat on the stove. Don’t forget to stir, and 10 minutes later you have breakfast.
- Old fashioned oats
- Cranberries- fresh or frozen
- Brown Sugar
How to make creamy oatmeal
Step 1.Quarter the apple, remove the core, and slice the quarters into small slices and dice the apples.
Step 2. In a medium-sized saucepan add the rolled oats, water, milk, brown sugar, and the spices; stir to combine.
Step 3. Bring to a boil over medium heat then add the cranberries. Lower the heat and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the apples are cooked. If the cereal is getting too thick add in small amounts of water to make it the consistency you like.
Step 4. When done, pour into bowls and add a splash of milk, a sprinkling of brown sugar, and if you like a little cinnamon.
Are there other flavors you can add?
- You can mix and match fruit and spices
- Add a mashed banana and cook a directed then top with banana slices and walnuts
- Add a tablespoon of maple syrup instead of the brown sugar
- Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree while cooking the oatmeal along with a sprinkling of cinnamon
- Cook the oatmeal in coconut milk along with some shredded coconut and top with pineapple or mango slices
- Any type of milk works great in this recipe
- Of course, just making the basic oatmeal is delicious and top with your favorite fruits, nuts, and seeds.
You can serve your hot cereal in the cute Lions Head bowls too, I promise they will keep you oatmeal hot.
If you like to eat breakfast as much as I do, try this recipe for Baked Oatmeal with homemade applesauce for a delicious way to serve oatmeal. If French toast is your thing then I have a recipe that is amazing. French Toast Roll-Ups that are filled with raspberries and orange cream cheese. This recipe has become a favorite for breakfast and brunch.
Spiced Apple Cranberry Oatmeal
- Cut the apple into quarters and cut out the seeds. Cut the quarters into slices and then dice the apple. No need to peel the apple
- In a saucepan add the water, milk, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, diced apple, and spices. Stir well.
- Over medium heat bring the oatmeal mixture to a boil.
- Add the cranberries and stir. If you are using frozen cranberries they do not need to thaw.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the apples are cooked. You should hear the cranberries popping as they get hot.
- If the oatmeal gets too thick add a little water to the pot until it is the consistency you like.
- When done, pour the oatmeal into bowls and top with a splash of milk,a sprinkle of brown sugar, and more cinnamon if you like
I am a firm believer in eating breakfast in the morning so try to find something totally delicious and easy to prepare.
Eat a nutrition breakfast bowl
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers..
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.
Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
Served with love ~ Jere’