Let's get your morning started off with a hot bowl of Apple Cranberry Oatmeal with Spices. I know you are thinking BORING, but I could eat this every morning. It's warm and creamy, and the smell of cooked apples and cinnamon in the morning makes a very comforting breakfast.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
Just imagine a cold winter day having a bowl of hot oatmeal with cinnamon and nutmeg that is full of apples and tart cranberries. The oats cook up velvety and turn into a bowl of deliciously spiced comfort food. I will be honest this oatmeal tastes great all through the year and many times I make it for supper.
Add a quick topping to your oatmeal with a sprinkle of brown sugar and a splash of hot milk for some extra sweetness and creaminess. Hey, this is a serious bowl of oatmeal, you know the kind that keeps you full all morning and sticks to your ribs.
I understand sometimes a quick bowl of instant oatmeal comes in handy, but this homemade oatmeal really is quick to make and so much better than what comes out of a package.
More breakfast recipes
Here are two other favorite breakfast recipes to try.
Apple Baked Oatmeal with homemade applesauce for a delicious way to serve oatmeal, no bowl required.
If French toast is your thing then I have a recipe that is amazing. French Toast Roll-Ups that are filled with raspberries and orange cream cheese.
For a family breakfast bake this Easy Egg and Sauage Hashbrown Casserole for a hearty breakfast.
Easy Scrambled Eggs take just minutes to make for a classic breakfast.
What are rolled oats?
Rolled oats are also known as Old Fashioned Oats.
Rolled oats are produced from the oat groat and are actually steel-cut oats that have been steamed then rolled and flattened.
Oats are naturally gluten-free, however, if other gains such as wheat and barley are processed in the same facility they can contaminate the oats. Look at the box labels to be sure.
Tips for making oatmeal
- This Oatmeal recipe is really easy to prepare. I use the Old-Fashioned type because I like the texture. The key to making creamy oatmeal is using half water and half milk and as it gets thick, make sure to stir.
- How to make creamy oatmeal? Adding the rolled oats to cold liquid gives a creamery texture over adding the oats to the hot liquid which results in a chewier oatmeal. Who knew?
- As the oatmeal cooks it will thicken. If your cereal is still too thick add extra water to the pan, a tablespoon at a time to retain the creamy texture. Adding too much extra milk will make the oatmeal chewy and gummy, and you know what that tastes like!
- If you are a cranberry lover like my family buy extra bags of cranberries in the fall and freeze them. This way you can have cranberries after the season is over and can make recipes like Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Apples and Cranberries, Apple Cranberry Galette, or Cranberry Orange Scones.
- No need to defrost the cranberries, just add them into the saucepan.
- If you are in a hurry in the morning and want a quick breakfast, just peel and dice an apple the night before and put it in the fridge, then put the oatmeal and spices in a pot. All you have to do in the morning is to add the liquid and cranberries to the oatmeal and turn the heat on the stove. Don't forget to stir, and 10 minutes later you have breakfast.
- Old fashioned oats - this recipe is best made with the old-fashioned type oats
- Apples - use your favorite because any type will work well
- Cranberries- you can use fresh or frozen, and there is no need to defrost the frozen cranberries
- Milk - use your favorite
- Brown Sugar - this added a delicious caramel flavor and of course sweetness
- Cinnamon and nutmeg - oatmeal and apples love spice, so add your favorites
- Salt - it brings out flavor - but you can leave it out if you want
🥣How to make creamy oatmeal: Step by Step
Step 1. Prepare the apple first by quartering the apple, removing the core, slicing the quarters into small slices, and dicing the apples. There is no need to peel the apple.
Step 2. In a medium-sized saucepan add the rolled oats, diced apples, water, milk, brown sugar, salt, and spices; stir to combine.
Step 3. Bring the oatmeal to a slow boil over medium heat then add the cranberries. Lower the heat and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the apples are cooked. If the cereal is getting too thick add in small amounts of water to make it the consistency you like.
Step 4. When done, pour into bowls and add a splash of milk, a sprinkling of brown sugar, and if you like a little cinnamon.
Once you taste this oatmeal with the amazing aromatic spices and the sweet and tart fruits you will understand why this oatmeal transforms into an amazing bowl of comfort food. This becomes one of those breakfast foods you look forward to.
Add other flavors
- You can mix and match fruit and spices.
- Add a mashed banana and cook as directed then top with banana slices and walnuts.
- Add a tablespoon of maple syrup instead of the brown sugar.
- Add 2 - 3 tablespoons of pumpkin puree while cooking the oatmeal along with a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Cook the oatmeal in coconut milk along with some shredded coconut and top with pineapple or mango slices for a tropical flavor.
- Any type of milk works great in this recipe such as oat milk, almond milk or soy milk.
- For some added crunch, add chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Of course, just making the basic oatmeal is delicious and top with your favorite fruits, nuts, and seeds.
Recipes with cranberries
Easy Cranberry Bread topped with a creamy orange glaze
Cranberry & Pumpkin Bread is hearty and full of fall flavors
Pumpkin Sheet Cake topped with a creamy white chocolate frosting
You can serve your hot cereal in my favorite Lions Head bowls.
I promise they will keep your oatmeal nice and hot.
More to make and eat!
Subscribe here for more great recipes and follow One Hot Oven for more tasty sweet and savory recipes! Pinterest | Instagram | Facebook
Spiced Apple Cranberry Oatmeal
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 1 medium apple
- ⅓ - ½ cup whole cranberries fresh or frozen
- On a cutting board, cut the apple into quarters and cut out the seeds. Cut the quarters into slices and then dice the apple into small to medium-sized dice. You do not need to peel the apple.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add the water, milk, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, diced apple, and spices. Stir well.
- Over medium heat bring the oatmeal mixture to a slow boil. If you boil this at a high heat it can bubble up and burn the oatmeal.
- Add the cranberries and stir. If you are using frozen cranberries they do not need to thaw.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the apples are cooked. You should hear the cranberries popping as they get hot.
- If the oatmeal gets too thick add a little water to the pot until it is the consistency you like. I usually add water a tablespoon at a time.
- When done, pour the oatmeal into bowls and top with a splash of milk,a sprinkle of brown sugar, and more cinnamon if you like
First published: Nov. 1, 2018, Last updated: Feb 2, 2022, for better readability.
Make sure to pin for later
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Please visit my about page for information, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.
Looks so delicious and I love oatmeal. Will give it a try. Thank you for sharing
Love the apple cranberry combination. My boring morning meals just got a delicious upgrade!
I love oatmeal for breakfast when it's cold outside. It's such a great way to start the day and this apple cranberry oatmeal sounds like the perfect autumn breakfast!
I know what you mean, there is something about a hot bowl of oatmeal that goes with a rainy day.
I think it was such a great idea to add cranberries to the oatmeal, makes it a lot more special and great for a quick Thanksgiving breakfast as well.
Cranberries definitely perk up a bowl of oatmeal.
I am so making this apple cranberry oatmeal. I tend to only eat oatmeal in the cold months so this recipe sounds perfect right now.
Amy Liu Dong
One of the delicious, healthy, and easy breakfast recipes that I've read today.
I'll be making this for tomorrow's breakfast. Yum!
This spiced apple oatmeal looks delicious and comfortable. I loved your bowls you served the oatmeal.
Oatmeal is so good and this recipe looks delicious!
It is delicious, we make this all through the week.
This oatmeal sounds like a scrumptious and nutritious way to start the day! Love the apples and cranberries in there!