It’s the season for Mandarin Oranges one of my favorite fruits; truthfully they are almost like eating candy. Today is a baking day and Sweet Mandarin Orange Scones are going in the oven.
Falling In Love With Mandarins
I love seeing the sweet juicy Mandarins heaped up in mounds at the store with the stems and leaves attached. These beauties are grown in Placer County in Northern California and I am fortunate to have such an abundance in our stores.
Late fall is the season for Mandarins in the Northern California foothills. During November the Mountain Mandarin Festival takes place and is a perfect time to visit the many orchards and experience all things Mandarin. Make sure to click on the above link to learn more about mandarins and the festival.
Not only are mandarins perfect for snacking but they are great in all types of recipes. Mandarins have a sweet yet bold flavor and are a great addition to these Sweet Mandarin Orange Scones.
Scones are really quick to make which is a good thing because who has time to wait all day for something good to come out of your oven. I actually have plans for a big pot of tea and a warm, fresh from the oven scone today, so lets’ get started.
This is what I brought home from the store, minus a couple I already ate. Aren’t these lovely?
The first thing you need to do is zest two to three mandarins then peel them, separate into sections and dice. Really this is the hardest part of the recipe and not really that hard. Personally, I like zesting citrus, crazy, but it releases all the citrus scent and makes my kitchen smell so good.
After your dough is mixed turn out on a well-floured board, knead and flatten into a 1/4″ disk. The mandarin pieces in the dough are going to give these scones a burst of citrusy flavor.
Cut into 8 wedges and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
Make the glaze while the scones are in the oven and baking and making your kitchen smell heavenly. Just mix powdered sugar, orange zest and the orange juice. Super simple.
Tea and Sweet Mandarin Orange Scones
Mandarin Orange Scones
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Zest of 1 orange reserve 1 teaspoon for the glaze
- 6 ounces fresh mandarins chopped, about 2
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-2 tsp. fresh Mandarin orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mixing the Dough
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
- Cut in butter then add the buttermilk, orange zest, and Mandarin oranges pieces.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured board and knead the dough; add flour as needed.
- Roll or press the dough into and a round disk about 1/4" thick then cut into eight 1-inch wedges. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
Sweet Orange Glaze
- Combine confectioners' sugar, orange zest, and enough fresh orange juice to make a runny glaze.
- Pour glaze over warm scones.
These scones are moist and tender, a little bit sweet and with the mandarin orange pieces and zest the citrus flavor is in every bite.
I would love for you to join me for tea and Sweet Mandarin Orange Scones.
One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Want to make your baking easier, here are two of my favorite kitchen items.
Making zesting citrus quick and easy with my favorite zester.
Blessings ~ Jere’