“One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
It’s Opening Day for our favorite baseball team the San Francisco Giants and is an event to be celebrated. Unfortunately, we will have to celebrate at home instead of the ballpark because some people have to work and some have to go to class. That’s right no skipping class on opening day, although skipping work is an option. Since we are stuck at home we are making our favorite Orange and Black Surprise Inside Cookies for Opening Day and celebrating in front of the TV
Yes, I know, most people would make popcorn or have hot dogs and a beer, but we make orange and black cookies and drink lemonade. A ballpark tradition.
If you haven’t been to AT&T Park it is a beautiful stadium and sits on the San Francisco Bay. When you enter the stadium you walk by the magnificent statue of Willie Mays and once inside you can see the bay, the Oakland Bay Bridge, the world’s largest baseball glove, and a giant Coca-Cola bottle that lights up. Make sure to walk along the McCovey Cove walkway for a San Francisco Giants history lesson. It is a great baseball experience.
At&T Park, a great baseball experience
Let’s get started on these cookies. First things first you need orange and black nonpareil sprinkles. Or feel free to change up the colors here for your favorite team. I know I kinda went crazy making the SF Giants logo, but I like playing with sprinkles.
Or if you are saner than me you can do it like this.
The game will be starting so let’s make cookies. There are several steps to making these Surprise Inside Cookies but I promise they are not at all hard. Do these steps and your cookies will be a home run!
- Make the basic cookie dough
- Tint and flavor part of the dough for the surprise middle layer
- Make the cookie dough balls
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles
These buttery sugar cookies hide a rich and tender chocolate middle layer that adds some fun and flavor to every bite.
To make these cookies roll out about 25 butter cookie dough balls and 25 chocolate cookie middle layer balls; press the butter cookie balls to flatten and place the chocolate dough inside. Now, roll the butter cookie dough around the chocolate dough. Next, and this is super duper important, roll the dough balls in the sprinkles right after you make the balls because they are warm and a bit sticky from rolling and the sprinkles will stick better.
Let’s walk through the recipe ~
Orange and Black Surprise Inside Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbls. cocoa powder
- 1 tbls. melted butter
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 5 + oz. Orange and Black nonpareil sprinkles
- In a large bowl mix the butter and shortening until fluffy. Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined.
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the sifted powdered sugar, cocoa powder and melted butter. Mix well to combine
- Add the 1/4 tsp. of almond extract to the remaining dough.
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of almond-flavored dough and make 25 balls with the dough. Next measure out 1 teaspoon of the chocolate dough and roll into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the almond flavored dough and place a chocolate dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
The game is starting and the cookies are ready.
For more baseball dessert inspiration check out these delicious Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting topped with Cracker JackPeanut Butter Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting topped with Cracker Jack. They are the perfect treat for that 7th inning stretch.
I love sprinkles and here are some other Surprise Inside Cookies for some colorful inspiration ~
Please do me a favor and pin this recipe to your Pinterest Board, you can do that right here.
As a follow-up, we went to the Giants game the day after Opening Day to see them WIN! One of the best things that happen during the games is making friends with people in the stands. The couple in front of us were passing around cookies that were really, really good. I asked the wife what they were and she said she loves to cook and bake and follows Joy The Baker and made these Milk Chocolate Cookies and Cream Cookies.
Minutes later a fly ball popped up and her husband caught the ball!!! Fun and excitement in the stands that day.
Just in case you need some sprinkles these are what I use. Of course, if you are going to the game you need to root for your favorite player.