I love it when I bake something new and and its really good. This Peach Almond Tart with Vanilla Bean may be my new favorite dessert. Right now there are peaches of all kinds in the stores and at farmer’s market. I decided on the O’Henry variety today; they are sweet, easy to peel and bake well. And, to give some contrast and additional flavor I’m using some white peaches. I don’t know the name of these, I was pleasantly surprised of how sweet they were.
There are two ingredients in this Peach Almond Tart that make this a stand-out; almond meal and vanilla bean. The almond meal provides a little nutty flavor and texture under the peaches and the vanilla bean adds that distinctive floral vanilla flavor. I only had one vanilla bean left and was seriously considering not using it, which makes no sense, but sometimes I realize I’m a hoarder and if I used my last vanilla bean I would be out; and then what? But I thought better and scraped the bean pod clean of all those itty-bitty seeds.
Don’t let all these pictures scare you away from making this tart, it is really easy to make.
Here’s my bounty of O’Henry peaches. Nice and juicy.
Did I mention the ingredients? Your favorite peaches, butter, eggs, flour, almond meal, sugar, egg and a nice soft vanilla bean.
First get your dough made. I used my food processor, but feel free to use the good old fashion two knife method or a pastry blender. Make sure you butter is cold and then cut into slices for easy blending.
Blend the flour, baking powder, butter and salt, then slowly add the water.
Turn the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. I love this dough, it comes out with a soft, pliable texture.
Flatten the dough into a disk and wrap in the plastic. Chill for 30 minutes.
While the dough is chilling prepare the vanilla bean and sugar. Scrape the whole vanilla bean and put the seeds into your sugar.
Slice the peaches and add the sugar and toss to coat
Flour your board and roll out the pastry disk.
Roll the dough into a 12″ x 16″ rectangle. I decided to get creative and I made some cutouts on the side of my pastry with a small round cookie cutter. Chill the dough for 15 minutes to firm it up, then transfer to a large baking sheet.
While the dough is chilling mix the almond meal and superfine sugar together.
Now let’s have fun and start building the tart. Once the dough is on the baking sheet sprinkle the almond meal and sugar mixture over the dough, leave an inch border on the sides. Now start alternating the yellow and white peaches in rows on top of the almond meal.
I made three rows of peach slices. I love the contrasting colors. Now roll up the side of the tart and brush with egg whites. I also sprinkled sugar on the dough, I think it just looks pretty and I like how it adds a little bit of crunch.
It’s time to bake. Put the tart in a 350-degree oven for 40 minutes, then be prepared to be amazed with a sweet, buttery tart full of flavorful summer peaches.
The tart bakes up with a nice firm crust and is easy to cut and serve.
I hope you give this Peach Almond Tart with Vanilla Bean recipe a try and let me know what you think.
Peach Almond Tart with Vanilla Bean
- 1 lb 8 oz. Peaches - yellow and white
- 1 vanilla bean - split and seeded
- 2 tbls. sugar
- 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup super fine sugar
- 1 egg white
- In a food processor add the flour, baking powder and sugar. Pulse a few times. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly pour in the chilled water and vanilla while processing so the dough comes together and becomes smooth.
- Pour out onto plastic wrap and flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured board to a 12" x 16" rectangle.
- Chill the rolled out dough for 15 minutes.
- Move the dough to a baking sheet large enough to fit the dough
- Prepare the peaches
- In a large bowl slice the peaches into thin wedges.
- Mix 2 tbls. sugar and vanilla bean seeds together, then toss with the peaches.
- Mix the almond meal and 1/4 cup sugar together then sprinkle onto the tart dough, leave a 1" border.
- Making three rows of peaches, alternate the layers of yellow and white peaches on top of the almond/sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough edges over the peaches to create a side crust.
- Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, until golden.
- Dust with powdered sugar when cool.