It won’t stop raining here in Northern California and I’m going a bit crazy. In order to gain some sanity, I think baking some cookies is necessary today. Plus, turning the oven on will make my kitchen cozy warm.
It’s January and my lemon tree is full of beautiful lemons that need to be used. I must be crazy but I want to bake these Crispy Lemon Shortbread Slices, so even though it is pouring rain and windy as all get out, I’m heading out to pick some lemons for these cookies.
I’m back and I have very wet lemons, but they are beauties.
These Crispy Lemon Shortbread Slices are the easiest cookies to make, and the best part you only need four ingredients.
Let’s get started. Get out a nice big bowl and add your softened butter then give that a good beating with your mixer. Next add the sugar, flour, lemon peel. Mix your dough to combine everything and you are done. Fast and easy.
Now divide the dough in half and roll into logs about 2 inches wide.
This next step is optional but I like adding the colored sugar, or the powdered sugar around the rolls. You have to do this while your cookie dough is warm so the sugars will stick to it.
I’m using sanding sugar, which is a larger sugar crystal, but regular sugar will also work. If you want to color it just put your sugar in a bowl and add a drop of food coloring to it; stir and you will have colored sugar. Pretty amazing, right!
After you coated the cookie dough rolls put in the fridge to firm up for about an hour, give or take. At this point, you can wrap these cookie rolls in plastic wrap for another day or freeze them.
I chilled my dough for 20 minutes because I just could not wait any longer. I’m ready for some tea and cookies.
Turn your oven on to 300 degrees and slice your cookies into 1/4″ slices. I love the inside of these cookies, you can see all the lemon zest in the dough that’s going to make these cookies so flavorful. Bake for 30 minutes.
Ahh, the cookies are ready and so is my pot of tea. Today’s tea is my favorite Oolong from Tetulia.
It has been lovely spending the day with you while I baked my cookies and watched the rain from my kitchen window.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 lemons, grated
- Powdered and sanding sugar optional
- Add the softened butter to a large bowl and beat well.
- Gradually add the sugar and mix to incorporate
- Add the cake flour ½ cups at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add in the lemon zest and mix well.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 1½" round log.
- Roll each log in the powdered sugar or sanding sugar.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees
- Slice the dough into ¼" thick slices and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool then store in an airtight container.