How much do you like chocolate? I admit that I eat chocolate almost every day. There, I said it. Creamy milk chocolate to deep dark chocolate, I like them all. So when the family said “we need cookies” I went right for the chocolate. These Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies are our favorites and are a great cure for my chocolate cravings.
Let’s talk secret ingredients. My secret ingredient for these cookies is …instant espresso powder. I know you are asking, why in the world would you add that to cookies! I add a teaspoon to the batter and the coffee enhances the chocolate flavor, and adds just that little bit of zing to my cookies. No worries, you don’t need to add this, but I really miss the flavor when I leave it out. Try it. I even add the espresso to regular chocolate chips cookies and chocolate cakes. Here’s the brand I use and it’s available at most grocery stores.
For this batch of cookies I’m going with all semi-sweet chocolate from Guittard but feel free to use what you have and even mix some chocolate to your liking. I like Guittard because it just has a great chocolate taste, nothing fancy, and it is an affordable chocolate to use. I’m using the chocolate wafers along with regular chocolate chips, if you can’t find the wafers the chocolate chips will melt the same.
Start making your cookies by melting chocolate and butter over a bain-marie,or simply stated, a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Now just stand at your stove for about five minutes and stir, all the while eating some of the chocolate chips that fell out of the bag. Hint – don’t let the bowl touch the water or the chocolate mixture will get too hot and burn. That would just be bad!
After the chocolate and butter have melted into a glorious mixture, move the bowl off the water and mix in the dry ingredients. I like using my wooden spoons for this step. Next add in the chocolate chips.
Here’s the last step – just scoop 1″ rounds onto your cookie sheets and pop in the oven and wait 8 – 10 minutes for these chocolate goodies to bake. I bet your kitchen will smell heavenly, oops, I mean chocolaty by now.
Here’s your recipe and happy baking.
Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 oz. chocolate semi-sweet. Chopped or use wafers or chips
- 6 tbls. butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
- 6 oz. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare your cookie sheets.
- Melt the 8 oz, of chocolate and butter in a large bowl set over simmering water. Stir often until completely melted and smooth.
- Set the bowl on the counter and add the sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to the chocolate mixture. Stir well until blended.
- Add the 6 oz. of chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Drop the dough in 1" rounds onto the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until the edges are set and the centers are still slightly soft.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling racks.
So do you have a secret ingredient that you use often, maybe a special spice or condiment that makes your dishes extra special? I would love to hear what your secret ingredient is.
Don’t you just want to grab one of these cookies off this picture and start eating it. Mmmm, milk and cookies!!
Thank you for visiting One Hot Oven
~ Blessings ~