So with my bottle of Mazola Corn Oil and some inspiration from Grandma Marcella, I decided to change up my Chicken Garlic Caprese Flatbread recipe by swapping out a few ingredients to make it lighter and really highlight those fresh ingredients. These flatbreads are a quick 30-minute meal. I serve them with an Italian Green Salad to bring in more fresh vegetables. Flatbreads have always been a favorite dish on my family's dinner table. After a few changes to my usual recipe, I feel even better about serving these. This is good because my family would eat them every night if I let them.
Mazola corn oil is heart-healthy and an all-purpose oil that works great in baking, cooking, grilling, sauteing, stir-fries, marinades, and dressings. Looks like Grandma Marcella knew what she was doing because she used Mazola in everything. I mean everything.
What I personally love about this oil is it has a neutral flavor that lets all the fresh ingredients stand out in this recipe. That's perfect for a recipe with so many summer vegetables. These are flavors we don't want to cover with oil.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
My family has always liked this flatbread and salad meal. It's all about simplicity and flavors without the need to spend hours in the kitchen. This delicious dish is on the table in 30 minutes. This time I opted to make it a healthier meal with a few simple ingredient swaps. Here is what I changed, but feel free to adapt these changes for your taste.
To make the Chicken Garlic Caprese Flatbread healthier I made these simple swaps
- Swap out butter for Mazola Corn Oil to cook the garlic. This reduces the saturated fats and cholesterol we don't need in our diets.
- Swap out mozzarella cheese for feta and parmesan cheeses for a lighter taste.
- Swap out the creamy Italian dressing for an Italian vinaigrette made with corn oil. This avoids the cholesterol found in mayonnaise-based dressings.
Let's make this flatbread and I promise you will be sitting down to dinner in 30-minutes.
Preheat your oven first then cook the chicken. Here's a tip: if you prefer, a rotisserie chicken can be used, or, better yet, some leftover chicken. I feel whatever makes your meal prep easy is the way to go.
While the chicken is cooking, heat the chopped garlic with the corn oil in a small saucepan for 5 minutes. Cooking the garlic in the corn oil softens the garlic and flavors the oil.
Here's another great thing about Mazola corn oil: it has a higher smoking point than other oils. You know when you turn away from a pan of olive oil only to turn back to find grey smoke wafting up because the oil got too hot? That doesn't happen here! Corn oil's smoke point is 450 degrees so you can cook at high temperatures without affecting the flavor of the food or the nutritional value.
While the garlic is cooking, chop the tomatoes and basil then combine both with a little pepper.
Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet and spread the garlic oil on top with a spoon or pastry brush, top with chicken and the cheeses. That's it! Now put the flatbreads in the oven for about 12 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and basil to the top of the flatbreads and cook for about 5 more minutes or until the flatbreads are browned. This recipe is really that simple.
More One Hot Oven Recipes
Grab some bread or crackers to pair with this easy-to-make creamy Baked Ricotta Cheese Dip that is full of fresh lemon and herbs.
Homemade crackers are so easy to make and this recipe for Savory Cotswold Cheese Crackers takes just six ingredients.
This Lemon Ginger Sponge Cake is deliciously light and airy with fresh ginger and candied ginger.
Chicken Garlic Caprese Flatbread
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 large flatbread enough for 4 servings
- 1 small cooked chicken breast, or leftover or rotisserie chicken need about 1 cup chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons chopped garlic about 3 cloves
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped basil, fresh
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Season and cook the chicken then chop into small pieces to make 1 cup. You can also use leftover or rotisserie chicken.
- In a small saucepan add the olive oil and the chopped garlic. Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Slice the tomatoes and chop the basil. Mix together and add pepper to taste.
- Place the flatbreads on a sheet pan. Brush with the garlic oil then top with the chopped chicken and both kinds of cheese.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until the cheeses start to brown. Remove the sheet pan from the oven and top with the tomato-basil mixture. Return to the oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cut the flatbreads into fourths and serve hot from the oven.
The highlight of this meal is sitting down at the table with my family and enjoying this delicious food.
"I feel it is important to make time to cook at home and share a meal with your family"
Follow One Hot Oven
Like what you see? Make sure you are following One Hot Oven for more tasty sweet and savory recipes!
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.