With just 4-ingredients you can make these amazing Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats. Fruity, gooey, and divinely pink, these strawberry bars always make perfect no-bake treats for snacks and parties.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
An amazing thing happens when you combine marshmallows and Rice Krispies cereal, it's such a classic combination that turns into a classic snack. But, today we are putting a twist on the classic and making fruity Rice Krispies for a pink treat everyone will love.
Before we dive in I have two recipes that are just as chewy and gooey as these strawberry bars.
You can make marshmallow bars with more than Rice Krispies
- Lucky Charms Bars are filled with all those colorful and fun-shaped marshmallows for a crunchy and creamy treat.
- This recipe for Ritz Krispie Treats is made with the famous buttery cracker we all love.
- These super colorful Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats are a kid's favorite.
And if you are craving chocolate try these Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats that takes minutes to make and is always a crowd pleaser.
Pin this recipe for later when you are craving a sweet treat
💖Why we love these strawberry bars
- They have a great strawberry flavor
- The bars are chewy and crunchy with bits of dried strawberries in every bite.
- These treats make a great dessert, they travel well for parties and potlucks.
- They are fast and easy to make.
🍰More strawberry desserts
- Strawberries are always a favorite fruit and they also make fabulous desserts. This Strawberry Chardonnay Gelee is so simple to make and it looks so elegant. This is not your grandma's jello, it is so much better.
- This easy Frozen Strawberry Mousse recipe is filled with fresh raspberries in a cheesecake batter that makes a refreshing summertime dessert.
- Make these Strawberry Tarts that have a fruity custard in these pretty pink tartlets. These tarts make a sweet dessert with a simple pie tart shell filled with sweet strawberry curd.
You only need 4-ingredients and it all starts with a box of rice cereal
What's the secret ingredient in this easy recipe, it's freeze-dried strawberries. Yes, you will be amazed at the amount of flavor in these berries. This recipe uses two bags of berries, one to make a powder and one to add in as pieces. You can buy them at Trader Joe's, but I see them at Safeway and Target, or use the link above to order online.
Options - because we like options!
You can play around with the strawberries if you don't want to use two bags. You can just add the strawberry pieces or just add the strawberry powder, it's up to you. The flavor and color will not be as intense.
Butter - this helps make the melted marshmallows nice and creamy plus it adds flavor.
Rice Krispy cereal - I use Kellog's Rice Krispies but there are other brands and they will work too.
Marshmallows - the melted marshmallows will sweeten these treats and bind the cereal together.
🥣How to make
Ready, you just need 10 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to make.
Step 1. Butter a 13 x 9-inch pan.
Step 2. Make the strawberry powder. The easiest way is to pour the bag of strawberries into a small food processor and grind the berries into powder.
Step 3. For the other bag of berries you want to make them smaller, so simply just smash the bag with your hand to crunch them up a little so the berries are not as large.
Step 4. Add the cereal to a medium-sized bowl and add the strawberry pieces and mix together. Or, you can just add these ingredients directly to the pot.
Step 4. In a large stockpot or saucepan add the butter and melt it over medium-low heat. When melted, add the marshmallows and the strawberry powder, and stir over medium-low heat until the marshmallows are totally melted. Turn the heat off.
Step 5. Add the cereal mixture and stir until the cereal and marshmallow creme is totally combined.
Step 6. Pour the mixture into the pan and with a buttered spoon or your hand press down the cereal to make the top smooth.
Step 7. Let the treats cool in the pan for an hour, they will harden up a bit and then can be cut into squares.
When my great-grandma made these treats for me, they always had colored sugar on top which I am kind of fond of myself. But here are some ways to add some fun to these treats.
- Add colored and festive sprinkles for all the holidays.
- Make a quick icing and drizzle over the top.
- Dip one end of these bars in chocolate and then you will have chocolate-covered strawberries.
- Make these Rice Krispie treats for Valentine's Day, and you can put an Easter Rice Krispies treat in everyone's basket.
Rice Krispie FAQ's
Yes, use 10 ounces which is the same amount you use with the mini-marshmallows.
They can be, it just depends on the brand of rice cereal you buy. Even though rice is gluten-free many of the cereals use malt syrup which is not gluten-free.
Even though they tasted incredible, Kellogg discontinued making these treats.
There is definitely a difference in taste between the bars. The bars made without Jello are not quite as sweet and have a fresher strawberry flavor because you are using real strawberries.
Here are several reasons that happens
1. You pressed the cereal in the pan too much. You want to press it in the pan just enough to make the top smooth.
2. The marshmallows were old.
3. The cereal was old and stale.
4. Store the bars on the counter and not in the refrigerator which can make the marshmallow hard.
More dessert recipes
Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 bags Freeze-dried strawberries Use .8 ounce bags
- 4 tablelspoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups Rice Krispie cereal You can use other brands
- 10 ounces Miniature marshmallows
- Butter the bottom of the pan.
- Make the strawberry powder first. It is easiest to use a small food processor and add one bag of the strawberries and grind them until you have a powder. Set this aside.
- For the other bag of strawberries, you want to make the pieces just a bit small so the bars will be easier to cut through. Open the bag, and then with the heel of your hand press down on the bag to smash the berries inside. You don't want them too small but just crunched up a bit.
- This is optional, but you can add the cereal to a large mixing bowl and add the crunched-up berries and mix this together. Otherwise, you can just add the cereal and berries straight to the pot. You will do this later.
- In a large saucepan or a medium-sized stockpot, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and stir to coat with the butter, then add the strawberry powder. Stir this mixture of medium heat until the marshmallows are melted and creamy. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the cereal and strawberries into the melted marshmallows and stir until the cereal is completely covered with the marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. With a buttered spatula or your hand, press down the cereal to flatten the surface. Don't press down too much as that will make the bars hard
- Let the bars sit at room temperature for about one hour to completely cool, then cut into bars.
- If you want to add sprinkles to the treats I do that after I press the cereal in the pan while it is still a bit warm, but not hot This way the sprinkles will stick better.
- Cover the bars with plastic wrap. They will keep for three days.
- Store Rice Krispies treats in a sealed container at room temperature. These treats will keep for 1-2 days, but will start to dry out by day 3.
- Freeze the Rice Krispies treats for up to 2 months. Store a tightly sealed freezer container. I prefer to cut the treats into squares and wrap each one in wax paper then in foil and place them in a plastic bag. This way you can pull one out at a time.
Pan size:You can use different size pans depending on how thick you want the Rice Krispie Treats to be. I actually used my vintage Pyrex pan that is 12 x 7 ½, which made the bars a nice size. Using any pan bigger than 13 x 9 inches will make the bars very thin.
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days; I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or want to chat about the recipe? My contact information is on my about page, and I’ll be happy to help.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.
Looks very good
Spring giveaway 2023
Spring Giveaway 2023. Thanks for the recipe. I bought freeze dried strawberries on sale a while back, but have not found a way to use them.
Deborah L Bartlett
Spring 2023 Giveaway
"Spring 2023 Giveaway"
Love all your recipes - this one is delicious, too!!! Keep cooking and posting!!!!
Spring 2023 Giveaway
Brilliant! Heading to Trader Joes for freeze dried strawberries!
A perfect Easter or any day treat! My granddaughters flipped for the soft pink color from the freeze dried strawberry powder. The freeze dried strawberries added a tart freshness that really added some depth to a familiar treat. Love the recipe. Thanks!
These were delicious! My son's whole class loved them. Will make again for sure!
When I made these the first time I thought they would be perfect for school treats. So glad they were a hit.
Sooo good! I found dehydrated strawberries at my local grocery store and wasn't sure what I wanted to use them for - found this recipe and am so happy I did! Delicious!!
This was such an easy treat to make for a potluck! I added the sprinkles and it was a total hit with everyone!
These were such a fun twist on the classic treat! I loved the strawberry flavor.
Lori | The Kitchen Whisperer
Loving the addition of freeze dried strawberries! Such a great idea! A definite must make!
What a great party treat. Perfect for kid's parties. I confess, I've only ever eaten rice krispies as breakfast cereal but I'm dying to try these strawberry rice krispie treats. Going to make them when all the family come for Easter weekend.
Love these strawberry rice crispy bars! So easy and delicious!