I love rolled cakes with all the different flavors and interesting fillings, plus they look so fun rolled up and when sliced you can see all the layers. Today I am sharing one of my favorite cakes because it is truly amazing. Yes, amazing with all kinds of flavors. Try this recipe for Banana Cream Cheese Cake Roll with Pecans, Cranberries, and Ginger and taste the amazing flavor. I know I said amazing three times!
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE for policy details.
Banana Cake Roll
topped with a sprinkling of cranberries, pecans and ginger
What I like about this made from scratch cake roll is that the cream cheese filling and cake are baked together and then rolled once.
The cake is moist and the filling stays creamy. Since this filling is baked along with the cake I figure how easy would it be to create other cake flavors and adjust the filling. This is going to be my winter project…rolled cakes!
Ingredients to make a Banana Cream Cheese Cake Roll
- Cream Cheese
- Baking power
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
How to make a banana cake roll
To get started gather the pecans, cranberries, and ginger on a cutting board and chop, chop, chop. I chop all these ingredients together and make the pieces pretty small. This mixture will go in the cake and then I use it for the colorful garnish the top.
Mix the cream cheese filling first and spread it into the prepared pan. Easy right?
Next, make the cake which is a three-step process, and yes it takes an extra bowl and you have to mix and fold and fold again.
Spread the batter over the cream cheese mixture.
How to roll a cake roll tips
Now while your cake is baking you have a couple of things to do.
- First, get a clean towel and liberally sprinkle powdered sugar on top of it.
- Next, you really need to put an apron on because once you turn this cake upside down on the towel the powdered sugar is going to get all over the counter and most likely you too.
- Once your cake is baked loosen the edges from the cake pan and immediately turn the cake upside down on the towel. You can do this. Just do a quick flip.
- Roll the cake, keeping it fairly tight.
- Roll the cake while still hot keeps the cake from cracking
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle the pecan, cranberry, and ginger topping over the glaze. Your stunning creation is done.
Homemade Banana Cake
I hope you give this recipe a try. I know you gotta get some bowls messy, but your family and friends will think you are such an incredible baker when you present this cake to them. They don’t have to know how easy it is to make a homemade cake.
Let’s talk about cake toppings
Try this on top of cakes, pies, bread or even donuts. Seriously, think of a pumpkin donut with caramel frosting topped with this crunchy, sweet, spicy topping. YUM!
Other cake toppings to try –
Mini Chocolate Chips
Want another recipe using the Pecan, Cranberry, and Ginger topping see my blog post for Spicy Pumpkin Sheet Cake. Same topping different cake.
The Banana Cake Roll recipe
Banana Cream Cheese Cake Roll with Pecans Cranberries and Ginger
As an Amazon Associate I earn income from qualifying purchases.Share on Facebook Pin Recipe SaveSaved!
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese-divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tbls. milk
- Grease and line with parchment a 15" x 10" x 1" jelly roll pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream Cheese Filling ~
- Prepare filling first by mixing 7 oz. of the cream cheese (the 1 oz. will be used for the frosting) and ½ cup sugar in a small mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the egg and milk and beat until combined.
- Spread in the prepared pan.
- Prepare the cake by combining the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the four egg yolks and vanilla for 5 minutes until the mixture is thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add a ⅓ cup of sugar and mix until combined.
- Stir in the mashed banana and ⅓ cup of the chopped pecans, cranberries and ginger.
- In another mixing bowl beat the four egg whites to soft peaks (the tips will curl)
- Gradually add the other ⅓ cups of sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (the tips will stand straight up.)
- Fold in the egg mixture.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and fold in just until combined.
- Spread the cake mixture over the cream cheese filling mixture, make sure to get into the corners.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. While the cake is baking prepare a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar to turn the cake out on.
- When cake is done immediately turn out onto the powdered sugar covered towel and peel off the parchment paper.
- Start rolling the cake from the narrow end; using the towel to help roll. Keep seam side down.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plater and let cool before adding the glaze and toppings.
Glaze and Topping ~
- Make the glaze by beating together the cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and milk until it is a drizzling consistency.
- When cake is cooled drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake then sprinkle remaining chopped pecans, cranberries and ginger on top.
Baking supplies for this recipe
I’m on a roll now and there are more cake rolls to come. For now, let’s enjoy this simply delicious Banana Cake!