It’s that time of year to start thinking about all things pumpkin. Actually I would be totally happy having my pumpkin latte in May and my favorite Spicy Pumpkin Sheet Cake any time of the year. Although I suppose waiting for this cake all year makes it extra special when the weather starts changing and I want my kitchen to smell all sweet and spicy.
A sweet and spicy Pumpkin cake
Enjoy the taste of fall
When I think of pumpkin, I also think of spices and this cake has both. Rich pumpkin puree mixed with fall’s favorite spices — cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
This cake bakes up moist and rich with a delicate, spicy pumpkin flavor. To add more flavor it’s topped with a white chocolate cream cheese frosting. But wait, we’re not stopping there. A little sprinkling of chopped pecans, cranberries and ginger add another layer of flavor that takes this cake over the top. You’re going to wish it was fall all year round.
What exactly is a sheet cake?
Sheet cakes are a one layer cake baked in a rectangle pan, like a rimmed cookie sheet or a jelly roll pan. Usually, for this type of sheet cake, the pans are:
- Half sheet pan – 12″ x 16″
- Quarter sheet pan – 13″ x 9″
This is why I love sheet cakes –
- Sheet cakes are one-layer and are served directly out of the pan, so no depanning or leveling out the top.
- Frosting a sheet cake is easy since you just spread icing over the top of the cake.
- Simply cut the cake into the desired size squares to serve.
- Be creative and add fun and festive toppings over the frosting.
- The icing to cake ratio is perfect. Every bite you get the perfect amount of cake and icing.
- Sheet cakes are easy to transport to take to parties, pot lucks or cookouts.
Making sheet cakes is pretty simple. You first mix the wet ingredients, and then add the dry ingredients, Spread into a sheet pan and bake.
Try topping your frosted cake with these delicious toppings –
- A sprinkling of cinnamon
- Chopped pumpkin seeds
- Chopped pecans or walnuts or both
- Chopped dried cranberries
Here is your list of ingredients to make this spicy cake –
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Canola oil
- Pumpkin Puree
- Baking powder
- Baking Soda
- White chocolate
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Dried cranberries
- Candied ginger
Follow along to learn how to make a pumpkin sheet cake
The great part of making this cake is you can mix everything in one bowl and use a whisk. You can also just mix everything in your KitchenAid, but sometimes I just like mixing by hand.
My favorite way to prepare the cake pan is by coating the bottom of the pan with cooking spray and then sprinkling the pan with sugar. Normally you would use flour, but I like the flavor of the sugar on the bottom of the cake.
Just give this mixture a good chop so everything is in small pieces then sprinkle on top of the frosted cake.
Make the simple white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer
- Add melted white chocolate, I use Ghirardelli White Chocolate
- Beat in sifted powdered sugar
Once the cake has cooled, frost then cut it into desired size squares and top with chopped pecans, candied ginger, and dried cranberries.
Can you freeze the leftover cake?
If you have leftover cake (we’re impressed if you do), this cake is easy to freeze. Cut the cake into squares and place in an airtight freezer container in a single layer. When ready to serve take the cake out of the freezer and let sit for two hours to defrost.
Here are some of my recommended ingredients and tools for making this cake.
Spicy Pumpkin Sheet Cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. white chocolate chopped and melted
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 12 tbls. unsalted butter softened butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
How to prepare the Pumpkin Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare a 12" x 16" baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and dust with sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugars, pumpkin puree, beaten eggs, oil, and vanilla. Whisk the mixture until totally combined and the mixture is smooth. Instead of a whisk you can also use a mixer and beat at medium speed.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Combine the sifted dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until the flour is completely combined, using a whisk or a mixer.
- Spread batter into a greased and sugared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool.
How to prepare the White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place the white chocolate in a small microwavable bowl. Place the chocolate in the microwave and heat for 20-second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Stir the chocolate at each interval of melting.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the softened cream cheese and softened butter with a mixer until smooth.
- Add the melted white chocolate and beat to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Spread frosting on the cooled cake.
The Crumbled Topping
- On a large cutting board place the pecans, candied ginger and dried cranberries and chop all together to get small pieces. Sprinkle this mixture on the frosted cake.
Are you a pinner? I made a Pinterest pin for your cake boards.
Pumpkin has never tasted so good
I am inviting you over for some tea and cake.
Try this other One Hot Oven favorite – Pumpkin Cranberry Bread with Orange Glaze.
Make sure to follow One Hot Oven on Pinterest for more delicious recipes.
Thanks for stopping by One Hot Oven. Leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite cake is.