Get ready to pucker up a bit with this citrusy Lemon Lime Blackberry Cream Pie
This pie is all about flavor. Combining both lemons and limes creates a unique citrus flavor combination and then there are the blackberries. Well, my feeling is blackberries just go with citrus in a good way, the results are a beautiful, refreshing Lemon Lime Blackberry Cream pie.
I hope you have a citrus reamer because this recipe requires some serious juicing. But, before you start juicing the lemons and limes you need to zest them for garnishing the pie and for future use in other goodies. Hint, hint – there is another very citrusy treat coming to One Hot Oven’s future posts.
After all that juicing you get the benefit of your kitchen smelling a bit like a lemon grove, stop and take a whiff right now.
Trust me, now the hard part is done, but you will be so happy you have all this zest ready for another recipe. Just put the zest in a baggie and pop it in the freezer.
As with any pie, you need a crust and a simple graham crust is all this pie needs. You can make one or buy one, either way, your pie is going to taste awesome.
The one ingredient that really makes this pie work is unflavored gelatin, something not everyone keeps in their panty. Add the gelatin to sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and the citrus juice and your pie filling in ready to pour into the graham crust.
Oh, remember this is a Lemon Lime and oh yeah, Blackberry Pie. Well, there are the beautiful blackberries that go on top, but this pie has an unexpected layer of blackberry preserves under the citrus cream filling. Yes, another layer of fruity blackberry flavor.
Let that luscious filling firm up in the fridge.
Now it’s time to give your pie some bling. Whip the cream so it’s nice and firm. I love piping whipped cream on top of cream pies it just makes them look so pretty. Add blackberries and some lemon and lime zest and you are done.
Please join me for a slice!
This recipe is adapted from the book Perfect Pie by Michele Stuart. I love the whole book. Here’s the recipe with the One Hot Oven twist.
Lemon Lime Blackberry Cream Pie
- Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 9 " graham cracker pie crust premade or
Ingredients for homemade Graham Cracker Crust
Lemon Lime Blackberry Filling
- 1 teaspoons Knox gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 - 14 ounce can of chilled condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup blackberry preserves
- 1 pint of blackberries
- 2 cups whipping cream whipped
- Mix the crushed graham cracker crumbs with the sugar and melted butter.
- Pour the crumb mixture into the pie pan and press the crumbs into the pan.
- Bake the crust for 5 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Heat the water in a small bowl then sprinkle the gelatin on top. Mix to incorporate and then let the gelatin dissolve.
- In a large bowl add the chilled condensed milk, heavy cream, lemon and lime juice. Beat on high speed until the mixture thickens. Note: This will splatter! This takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dissolved gelatin to the cream mixture, then pour this mixture into the bowl of the cream mixture. Beat on high speed until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Spread the blackberry preserves on the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour the cream filling over the preserves.
- Refrigerate the pie for 8 hours or overnight.
The Finishing Touch
- Whip the heavy cream to firm peaks, then pipe or spread over the pie filling. Decorate with the blackberries.
One more look before we go!
As always I love your comments and read them all.