Good things come in small bites. These easy Apricot Puff Pastry Pinwheels are filled with sweet apricot jam, nutty parmesan cheese, and a sprinkling of fresh rosemary for an easy savory bite-sized easy appetizer.
This page may contain affiliate links; please see my disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
Love it? Pin it to your APPETIZER board to SAVE it!
Easy Apricot Puff Pastry Pinwheels
I don't know if you are like me, but anytime I see something rolled up in a pinwheel, I want to eat it. Cinnamon rolls come to mind, pinwheel cookies, and of course, jelly roll cakes.
There is always something good rolled up inside; it's like there is a surprise inside. I am adding these apricot and parmesan cheese pastries to my love of pinwheel foods.
- These pastries are perfect for adding to a Parmesan Cheese Charcuterie.
- And, if you are a cheese fan, try baking these savory Asiago Cheese and Ham Scones that deliciously pair with a soup or salad.
- You can serve these Mini Swiss Cheese Quiches for breakfast, brunch, appetizers, or even a snack.
- Easy Apricot Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- 🧡 Why You'll Love This Delicious Appetizer
- 📋Ingredients for Apricot Pinwheels
- Pro Pinwheel Making Tip
- How to Make Apricot Parmesan Puff Pastry Pinwheels: Step By Step Instructions
- Puff Pastry Appetizer FAQs
- Variations to try
- Tarts And Cake For You To Bake
- More Dessert Recipes To Try:
🧡 Why You'll Love This Delicious Appetizer
- This recipe takes just five ingredients.
- You can make and bake these pastries in less than 45 minutes.
- Party guests love appetizers and these cheesy rolls are delicious for any occasion, but we also like to serve them with a soup or salad.
📋Ingredients for Apricot Pinwheels
- Apricot jam or apricot preserves
- Puff pastry dough sheets thawed
- Parmesan cheese - you can shred your own or buy pre-shredded parmesan.
- Rosemary - this herb adds a nice savory component to these puff pastry roll-ups.
- Egg - this is used to glue the puff pastry dough to the roll, and to brush on top for a golden brown color.
Pro Pinwheel Making Tip
#1 It is tempting to load on the apricot jam when spreading it on the dough, but the problem is if you use too much the jam will ooze out when baking. There is always a little, but you don't want your baking sheet covered. So, just spread a thin layer of the jam.
#2 Line the baking pan with a silicone baking mat. Any baked-on jam will not stick to this. If you don't have this type of mat, use parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
How to Make Apricot Parmesan Puff Pastry Pinwheels: Step By Step Instructions
Step 1. Heat your oven for this recipe. You really need to use a silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
Step 2. Grate the block of parmesan cheese. Using this simple grater makes this quick and easy. You can also use prepackaged grated parmesan.
Step 3. Unfold the thawed sheet puff pastry on a flat surface then spread the apricot jam over the pastry. Leave one end of the pastry plain so you can brush an egg wash on it to hold the roll together.
Step 4. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the jam and then sprinkle with chopped rosemary.
Step 5. For the next step, on the short end of the pastry sheet start rolling the dough up like a jelly roll.
Step 6. Beat the egg in a small bowl, and with a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on the plain end of the pastry then continue rolling up the pinwheel.
Optional - I usually brush some of the egg wash over the top of the roll before slicing it. This will give a bit of a shine and turn the dough golden brown when baked.
Step 7. Place the pinwheel on a cutting board and with a serrated knife cut into ¼" slices. Place the slices on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, the roll will be golden brown.
Don't you just want to grab a couple of these rolls for a savory snack?
Puff Pastry Appetizer FAQs
You can make the roll, then wrap it in plastic wrap, and store them in the refrigerator for up to two days. When you are ready to bake slice and bake as directed.
Make the roll and then wrap it in wax or parchment paper then either wrap it in foil or place it in a plastic bag and freeze for one month. Before baking, unwrap the roll and let it thaw for about 20 minutes on the counter, then slice and bake.
Variations to try
Because it's fun to change things up!
- Try cheeses like peppered asiago, Gorgonzola, Feta, or gruyere cheese.
- Add different herbs such as thyme, red pepper flakes, or even basil.
- Red pepper jelly would add a spicy kick to these rolls with cotija cheese.
Tarts And Cake For You To Bake
- Quick and Easy Jelly Roll Pie Tarts
- These Puff Pastry Fruit Tarts take minutes to make and bake; use frozen puff pastry and your favorite fruits.
- Banana Cream Cheese Cake Roll with Pecans, Cranberries, and Ginger
- I love making apricot recipes, and this Apricot Cherry Cake is made like an upside-down cake in an iron skillet. It's so good!
- And, if you want a dessert recipe to use puff pastry, try these easy Mini Chocolate Puff Pastries.
More Dessert Recipes To Try:
Apricot Parmesan Puff Pastry Pinwheels
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set out the puff pastry sheet to thaw for 15 minutes. When thawed unroll the pastry on a flat surface like a cutting board to flatten it.
- With a cheese shredder, shred the cheese over a plate, or measure out the preshredded cheese. On a small cutting board, pull the fresh rosemary off the stem and then chop the leaves.
- Spread the jam over the pastry sheets with a spoon or a knife. You just need a thin layer, so don't feel you have to use the whole ⅓ cup. Leave some space at the end of the roll without jam or cheese.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and chopped rosemary over the jam.
- Break the egg into a small bowl, and beat with a fork.
- Starting with the short side of the dough, roll up the pastry sheet into a tight roll. Brush the end with the egg wash and then continue rolling up the dough. The egg wash will seal the pastry together so I won't come unrolled.
- Optional - brush more of the egg wash over the top of the roll. This will add some shine to the baked pastry and make it more golden brown.
- With a serrated knife, cut the roll into ¼" slices and place the slices on the silicone mat-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store leftover rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days. To reheat the rolls, wrap in aluminum foil bake in a 300 degrees until warmed, about 10 minutes.
First Published: Aug 2, 2022. Last Updated: August 19, 2022
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello, or just let me know what you are baking these days; I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or want to chat about the recipe? My contact information is on my About page, and I’ll be happy to help.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.