When I was growing up we had a really big garden. My brother Pat totally took care of the garden, it was his baby. Personally, I thought his constant expansion of the garden was ridiculous, the reason being, I had to help in canning and freezing his abundance of veggies. We canned tomatoes, green beans, pickles, peppers; we froze the corn and hung the onions. It took us weeks to get everything put up, but I will say it was worth it in the winter because I enjoyed eating these veggies.
Barbequed Green Beans with Ham
What kind of green beans to use for this recipe –
Here’s your ingredient list to make these tender and tangy green beans
- Green Beans
- Ham or Bacon
- Barbecue sauce
- Salt & Pepper
How to make Barbequed Green Beans
Barbecued Green Beans are a delicious side dish and so simple to make.
Barbequed Green Bean with Ham
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. ham, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 tbls. butter
- 1/3 cup water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Clean and stem the green beans. Slice in half if they are too long
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat then add the oil and saute the diced ham, onion and garlic until cooked and lightly browned. Remove the mixture to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the green beans and water. Stir and cover with a lid to steam until tender-crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce and add the ham, onions, and garlic to the green beans. Cook over medium-low heat until the barbecue sauce has thickened and coated the green beans.
- Serve warm,
For all the green bean lover’s here is a pin for your Pinterest board.
Here is another family favorite that I still make today. Bread and Butter Pickles are sweet and tangy with a little bit crunch. Don’t let canning these pickles scare you away, the process is so simple you will be wondering why you never made your own pickles before.
Are there any veggie gardener’s out there? I would love to hear what you are growing.
Just a reminder to eat your veggies every day.
Sending blessings to all