Everyone asks how I get that hard shell chocolate topping. It’s like the Hershey’s Magic Shell, and you can definitely use that, but because I think I have to make everything from scratch I’m going to give you my super secret recipe for the chocolate coating.
The chocolate coating is made with just two ingredients, chocolate, and coconut oil. The coconut oil is what makes the chocolate hard. Just melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, stir really well and you have a chocolate coating, it really is like magic. If you have extra chocolate after dipping the bites pour it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Just remelt in the microwave for a few seconds. Coconut oil has so many uses other uses for it, so this jar won’t go to waste.
You need a few kitchen tools to make the little scoops nice and neat, a small ice cream scoop, mine is a one tablespoon scoop, 18/8. Use a bench scraper or a wide flat knife, to flatten out the ice cream and pack it down in the scoop which will make it nice and smooth on the bottom.
Are you feeling creative, here is your chance to mix and match ice cream flavors and toppings. My choices today are chocolate and mint ice cream and my toppings are chocolate crumbs, cocoa nibs, and sprinkles. This is a good time to dig deep in your pantry to find something to put on top.
Need some suggestions for toppings
- chopped nuts
- graham cracker crumbs
- crushed Heath bar
- finely chopped ginger
- sea salt flakes
Creamy and Crunchy Oreo Ice Cream Bites
- Oreo cookies
- Ice Cream, your favorite flavors
- 12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- toppings of your choice - nuts, crushed cookies, sprinkles, graham cracker crumbs
Making the Oreo Ice Cream Bites
- For this recipe you can use as many Oreos as you want, make sure to have enough ice cream on hand.
- Have a tray ready in the freezer to put the ice cream bites on.
- Using the ice cream scoop, make a big scoop of ice cream and then scrape off the excess with a bench scraper or a flat knife, making sure the ice cream is packed in the scoop. You want the bottom to be flat so it sits on the Oreo.
- Place the scoop of ice cream on an Oreo. I usually do five at a time them place these on the tray in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice cream bites until firm.
- Place the coconut oil and chopped chocolate in a bowl and heat in the microwave at 20-second intervals, until the chocolate is melted. Stir until the chocolate coating is smooth then let cool.
Dipping the Ice Cream Bites in Chocolate
- Make sure the chocolate coating is in a deep enough bowl to dip the ice cream bites.
- Dip the ice cream bite into the chocolate coating, making sure to coat the ice cream ball and the top part of the Oreo. This seals the ice cream and Oreo together.
- Sprinkle on your choice of toppings. I have found it best to sprinkle on the topping instead of dipping the ice cream bite in the topping.
- Place the ice cream bites back in the freezer, and freeze until firm
Love It…Pin It!
Photos by Bevyn Cassidy. When Bevyn is not photographing cookies and pies she is taking pictures throughout California. Visit her Tumblr page exploring california .