Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bites
What I love about these ice cream bites
- Looking for a unique dessert to serve at parties, this is it? These ice cream bites are such a tasty treat and they are not your usual dessert. Everyone will think you spent hours creating these divine little bites because they look so fancy. Set these out on a platter and watch them disappear. No plates, forks or spoons required to eat this dessert. You know what them means…no dishes!
- The best part of these little creamy, crunchy bites is you can make these with different flavors of ice creams and then add different toppings to make them festive and even more delicious.
- Got kids, this is a great dessert for them to help make. Kids love scooping and dipping the ice cream in the chocolate.
- Make a batch of these ice cream bites and keep in the freezer for when you want a dessert.
Your ingredient list-
How to make a chocolate shell
Everyone asks how I get that hard shell chocolate topping. It’s like the Hershey’s Magic Shell, and you can definitely use that, but because I think I have to make everything from scratch I’m going to give you my super-secret recipe for the chocolate coating.
The chocolate coating is made with just two ingredients, chocolate, and coconut oil. The coconut oil is what makes the chocolate hard. Just melt the chocolate and coconut oil together, stir really well and you have a chocolate coating, it really is like magic. If you have extra chocolate after dipping the bites pour it in an ice cube tray and freeze it. Just remelt in the microwave for a few seconds. Coconut oil has so many uses other uses for it, so this jar won’t go to waste.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full DISCLOSURE for policy details.–
You need a few kitchen tools to make the little scoops nice and neat, a small ice cream scoop, mine is a one tablespoon scoop, 18/8. Use a bench scraper or a wide flat knife, to flatten out the ice cream and pack it down in the scoop which will make it nice and smooth on the bottom.
Are you feeling creative, here is your chance to mix and match ice cream flavors and toppings. My choices today are chocolate and mint ice cream and my toppings are grated chocolate, cocoa nibs, and sprinkles. This is a good time to dig deep in your pantry to find something to put on top.
Need some suggestions for toppings
- chopped nuts
- graham cracker crumbs
- crushed Heath bar
- finely chopped ginger
- sea salt flakes
How to make ice cream bites
- Choose your ice cream flavor or mix and match flavors
- Choose your Oreo cookie – I use Chocolate and Golden Oreos
- Make room in your freezer for the ice cream bites
- Using a small cookie scoop, make a nice clean scoop making sure the bottom is smooth and put on top of the cookie
- Place the cookie in the freezer on a tray and freeze until firm- I do five cookies at a time
- Make the chocolate coating with dark chocolate and coconut oil
- Dip the cookie with the frozen ice cream into the chocolate
- Top with all your delicious toppings
- Refreeze the ice cream bites and then serve
Creamy and Crunchy Oreo Ice Cream Bites
Making the Oreo Ice Cream Bites
- For this recipe, I am using 12 Oreo cookies. You can use as many Oreos as you want, make sure to have enough ice cream on hand.
- Have a tray ready in the freezer to put the ice cream bites on.
- Using the ice cream scoop, make a big scoop of ice cream and then scrape off the excess with a bench scraper or a flat knife, making sure the ice cream is packed in the scoop. You want the bottom to be flat so it sits on the Oreo.
- Place the scoop of ice cream on an Oreo. I usually do five at a time them place these on the tray in the freezer.
- Freeze the ice cream bites until firm.
- Place the coconut oil and chopped chocolate in a bowl and heat in the microwave at 20-second intervals, until the chocolate is melted. Stir until the chocolate coating is smooth then let cool.
Dipping the Ice Cream Bites in Chocolate
- Make sure the chocolate coating is in a deep enough bowl to dip the ice cream bites.
- Dip the ice cream bite into the chocolate coating, making sure to coat the ice cream ball and the top part of the Oreo. This seals the ice cream and Oreo together.
- Sprinkle on your choice of toppings. I have found it best to sprinkle on the topping instead of dipping the ice cream bite in the topping.
- Place the ice cream bites back in the freezer, and freeze until firm
- Store in a freezer container for one month.
Pick your topping
colorful sprinkles – nuts – coconut-cocoa nibs – Oreo crumbs – graham cracker ….
Love It…Pin It!
If you like ice cream dessert try these other One Hot Oven favorites.
Fresh Peach Blackberry Ice Cream made the no-churn way brings two great summertime flavors together in this creamy dessert.
Red, White & Blue M&M Ice Cream Sundaes are the perfect way to celebrate. Sweet vanilla ice cream filled with color M&M’s.
Just like fried ice cream but easier. These Crunchy Banana Almond Ice Cream Balls are fantastically delicious. Vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted cereal and topped with a honey cinnamon glaze.
Thanks for stopping by One Hot Oven and let me know what you think of these tasty ice cream treats.