Make something sweet for Valentine's Day with this insanely easy-to-make Saltine Cracker Candy that's topped with white chocolate, pretty red hearts, and colorful sprinkles. I warn you, this cracker bark is quite addicting.
This easy recipe has become a popular dessert to make for the holidays and is also known as crack candy, cracker toffee, toffee bark, Christmas crack, and saltine toffee. No matter what you call it, if you are looking for Valentine's candy ideas this confection is loved by everyone and is totally delicious
Tools to make this candy
A rimmed baking sheet is necessary to make this candy. The pan needs to have sides on it to hold in the crackers and the toffee.
This is why this cracker candy is so popular
- This recipe takes just 4 basic ingredients and no candy thermometer is required. We added some extra festive ingredients like pink candy melts and sprinkles.
- In 20 minutes, you can make this candy that's a perfect combination of salty, sweet, crunchy, and chewy. Yes, all of that in one candy.
- It's just fun to have candy decorated for the holidays and these tasty candies are perfect, but the fun thing is you can make them anytime you want a treat.
- We all love edible gifts, and this buttery toffee bark is easy to wrap in cellophane bags tied with a pretty ribbon.
You need 4 main ingredients
- Saltine crackers - the squares make a perfect serving
- Butter - I prefer unsalted butter
- Brown sugar - you can use light or dark brown sugar
- Almond bark - you can also use white chocolate bars, or white chocolate chips
Add some fun extras
- Pink candy melts - add a colorful drizzle over the white chocolate
- Red candy hearts - I love these candies for their bright color
- Valentine's nonpareil sprinkles - I also love nonpareils for their color and they add a little crunch to the candy.
How to make saltine toffee
Step 1. Heat the oven to 325°F. Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Toffee tip - make sure whatever you lined the cookie sheet with to make it a little bigger than the pan, so if the toffee seeps over the side you won't end up with a mess. Remember, toffee is just downright sticky!
Step 2. Make a layer of the saltine crackers by placing them side-by-side on the pan so that they lay flat making sure the sides touch.
Step 3. In a medium saucepan add the brown sugar and butter. Cook on medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is boiling, stirring occasionally. I suggest using a wooden spoon or a heavy rubber spatula.
Once the mixture boils then continue to boil undisturbed for 5 minutes. This is the buttery toffee layer.
Step 4. Pour the toffee mixture over the crackers then spread it evenly on top of all of the crackers with a spoon or rubber spatula.
Step 5. Bake the crackers for 7 minutes. Once done, remove from oven.
Step 6. Place the almond bark in a microwave-safe bowl, then melt in the microwave for 30 seconds then stir. Continue melting in 30-second intervals stirring well each time until the almond bark is completely melted.
Step 7. Spread the melted almond bark onto the top of the hot toffee crackers, and use a spoon to spread it around until the toffee is fully covered.
Tip ~ It's best to spread the white chocolate over the cracker when they are still warm from the oven so it sticks to the crackers.
Step 8. Place the candy melts into a piping bag and place them in the microwave. Microwave for 30 seconds, then knead the bag, then microwave another 20-30 seconds, and knead the bag again until fully melted. If the chocolate doesn’t melt smoothly, add a teaspoon of shortening and knead it in until well combined. Cut off the tip of the bag and drizzle on top of the white chocolate.
Step 9. Scatter the sprinkles on top of the chocolates while the chocolate is still soft, this ensures the sprinkles will stick to the chocolate.
Step 10. Let the chocolates fully set, then you can either break the toffee up with your hands or cut the candy into squares. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for about 2 weeks.
Using white chocolate chips instead
You may decide to use white chocolate chips instead of almond bark, and there are two easy ways to do that. I find 3 cups of white chocolate chips are needed.
Step 1. When the crackers come out of the oven immediately sprinkle the crackers with the chocolate chips. Let them sit for a minute to melt then spread the melted chocolate over the top o the cracker.
Step 2. Pre melt the chocolate chips by placing them in a microwave-safe bowl with a teaspoon of vegetable oil, or coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir the chocolate chips and then microwave again at 30 seconds intervals until the chips are melted. Make sure to really stir the chocolate chips which helps them melt. When melted pour over the baked crackers and spread to cover.
- Try different crackers such as graham crackers, Ritz Crackers, or Club Crackers.
- Instead of almond bark or white chocolate use dark or milk chocolate.
- For the candy melt drizzle use any color you like, for this recipe try using red candy melts.
- Sprinkles, well you can just go crazy here since there are so many colors and types to choose from.
- This recipe is also perfect for Christmas, just change out the candy melts to red or green, or both, and then top them with crushed peppermint candies.
More Valentine's Day recipes
- Iced Valentine Thumbprint Cookies are sweet bite-sized cookies covered in festive sprinkles.
- Chocolate is a must for Valentine's Day and these Chocolate Slice and Bake Cookies are rich and tender melt-in-you-mouth shortbreads.
- Bake a batch of these Heart Shaped Chocolate Chip Cookies and top them with pretty red candy hearts.
- Serve your sweetie this Strawberry Gelee that has a hint of chardonnay. it’s lightly sweet, and velvety smooth, and the strawberry and wine flavors are deliciously flavorful.
- For a decadent dessert try this easy-to-make Chocolate Ganache Tart topped with whipped cream rosettes.
- Want a fun cookie to make, try these Red Velvet Stuffed Cookies. You might know them as Surprise Inside Cookies because each cookie has a red velvet filling inside.
More good things to make and eat
Valentines Saltine Cracker Candy
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe for cracker candy
How to make saltine toffee bars
- Heat the oven to 325°F. Cut a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil to line the baking pan, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Make sure the liner it a bit bigger than the pan in case the toffee spreads.
- Lay the saltine crackers side-by-side on the pan, ensuring that the sides touch.
- Add the brown sugar and butter to a medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is boiling, stirring occasionally. Continue to boil undisturbed for 3 minutes
- Pour the caramel mixture over the crackers then spread it evenly on top of all of the crackers with a spoon or rubber spatula. Be careful as the caramel is very hot.
- Bake the crackers for 7 minutes. Once done, remove from oven.
- Place the almond in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in 30- second intervals in the microwave. Stir between each interval until the almond bark is completely melted.
- Spread the melted almond bark onto the top of the hot toffee crackers, and use a spoon to spread it around until the toffee is fully covered.
How to decorate the top of the candy
- Place the candy melts into a piping bag and place them in the microwave. Microwave for 30 seconds, then knead the bag, then microwave another 20-30 seconds, and knead the bag again until fully melted. If the chocolate doesn’t melt smoothly, add a teaspoon of shortening and knead it in until well combined. Cut off the tip of the bag and drizzle on top of the white chocolate.
- Before the white chocolate and the pink candy melts are totally set add the red candy hearts and the nonpareil sprinkles. It may be helpful to press them into the chocolate so they stick.
- Let the toffee set on the counter so the chocolate will firm up. This should take about two hours. You can also place the crackers in the fridge to firm them up.When the chocolate is hard you can remove the sheet of candy and place it on a cutting board. You can cut the candy into 40 squares, or you can just break up the candy into different-sized pieces.
- Store the toffee saltines in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Freeze the candy by placing it in an airtight container for up to three months.
- Use graham crackers, Club crackers or Ritz crackers
- Use milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate
- Change the color of the candy melt drizzle
- Use any type of sprinkles you like
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Please visit my about page for information, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.