Grilled cheese for dessert, yes it is true. This recipe is one of our favorite treats and I promise you are going to love this Dessert Grilled Cheese with Strawberries because no matter how you serve grilled cheese it is still the ultimate comfort food. These cheese sandwiches are toasty, buttery, fruity, and creamy and divinely delicious.
This page may contain affiliate links, please see my full disclosure for policy details. I earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page.
When I say grilled I mean on your outdoor grill. When it’s hot I do most of our cooking and baking on my grill. In my last post, I made a Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake that tasted awesome and was baked completely on the grill.
No grill, that is not a problem because you can simply toast the pound cake in a skillet on the stove.
These little sandwiches are fun and easy to make and the best part is you can make up a platter of the sandwiches and have them ready in the fridge for dessert or a snack.
- Frozen pound cake – I prefer to use a frozen pound cake since it has a denser texture than a fresh poundcake
- Strawberries – medium-sized it better
- Mascarpone cheese – you can substitute creamed cheese
- Lemon Curd
- Strawberry Jam
You will be surprised how easy this dessert is to make.
Step 1. Preheat your grill. You can use a griddle or pizza stone to grill the pound cake slices. If you don’t have a grill or just want to stay in the kitchen the skillet method on the stove works just as well.
Step 2. Remove the pound cake from the freezer and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It helps to have the cake cold so when you cut it it is still firm.
Step 3. Cut off the ends of the pound cake for your snack and then cut the rest of the cake into 1/2″ thick slices or 12 slices which will make 6 sandwiches. Spread both sides of the pound cake with butter and stack on a plate
Step 4. Wash and dry the strawberries, then cut off the top and thinly slice the berries
Step 5. In a small bowl mix the mascarpone cheese and the lemon curd together
Step 6. Place the buttered pound cake slices on the griddle pan that is on the grill. Turn the grill heat to medium-low to low, depending on how hot your grill gets. If using a charcoal grill, adjust the coals for the proper heat. Grill for about 3-4 minutes until the cakes get nice and toasty, then flip to the other side and continue grilling.
Step 7. Please the cake slices on a cooling rack and completely cool.
Step 8. To complete the sandwiches, spread 6 pieces of cake with the mascarpone cheese and the other six slices with the jam.
Step 9. Top each the cake slices with cheese with about 6 slices of strawberries. Depending on the size of the strawberry slices you can put two slices side-by-side and in three rows.
Step 10. Place the cake slice with the strawberry jam on top of the cake with the strawberries, lightly press down on the cake slice.
Step 11. If you like you can cut the sandwiches in half diagonally.
Step 12. You can serve these grilled cheese dessert cakes immediately or cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Wrap any leftovers in plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for two days.
Eating the grilled pound cake right off the grill is really, really good. It’s sweet and buttery and the grilling gives it a caramelized flavor. Seriously I am happy just eating the grilled pound cake. So grill some pound cake and if you like, top with a drizzle of honey, sweetened fruit or maybe a dollop of whipped cream.
These sandwichs keep well and do not get soggy, so you make the sandwiches and keep them in the fridge for later.
Try these other grilled desserts from One Hot Oven
Grilled Cherry Pie is a cookout favorite that has a flaky pie crust cut out like a pandowdy, with red, juicy cherries
Grilled Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a fun twist on a classic dessert. These individual desserts are easy to make and grill in 10 minutes.
Helpful tools and equipment
There are all kinds of grills and this is and here are some choices.
For those small spaces try this Portable Gas Grill
For bigger spaces, this large Weber Grill is perfect for grilling large amounts of food
A nonstick grill pan is perfect for both indoor and outdoor grilling
If you love to BBQ try this Crate Joy BBQ Box for some tasty BBQ sauces, rubs, and tools.
Make sure to pin for later
You may also enjoy
Bite-sized Swiss Cheese Quiches are perfect for appetizers, breakfast or brunch
This Vanilla Bean Cake is AMAZING and so simple to make and is baked in an iron skillet
If you like spice try these Shortbread Cookies with Chai Spices
Need a GREAT snack for movie and game nights, make this Caramel Corn with Cinnamon And Apples
Grilled Cheese with Strawberries
- Set the pound cake out to defrost if you have a frozen cake.
- Pre-heat the grill and place your griddle or pizza stone on the grill top to heat. If using the stovetop, place your skillet the stove to preheat
- Cut the pound cake into 1/2" slices - usually, you get 12 slices
- Butter both sides of the pound cake slices.
- Rinse and pat dry the strawberries. Slice enough berries to cover the sandwiches.
- Mix 1/3 cup of mascarpone with 2 tablespoons of lemon curd
Grilling the Pound Cake
- Place the buttered pound cake slices on your griddle or pizza stone on the grill, or in a skillet on your stove.
- Once the slices are browned on the bottom flip over and brown the other side.
- Remove cooked slices to a plate
Making the Sandwiches
- Spread one side of the pound cake slice with the lemon and mascarpone cheese
- Spread another pound cake slice with strawberry jam
- Lay the sliced strawberries on top of the mascarpone slice then cover with the strawberry jam slice.
- These are little sandwiches but it looks nice to cut them on the diagonal for serving.
- These sandwiches can be plastic wrapped and stored in the refrigerator for several days.
My tea recommendations for this dessert
Have fun with your grill and enjoy a dessert.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.
Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!