I’m going to let you in on a secret. Are you ready? Here goes...We don’t do Taco Night in my house.
What? you gasp. You don’t have Taco Night Tuesdays?
No, you misunderstand. We don’t do Taco Night. We do Taco Nights. Taco Night Tuesday, Taco Night Wednesday, Taco Night Thursday...you get the picture. One of our absolute favorite recipes to make is Mini Chicken Taco Cups.
Taco Night Rules
When you’re eating as many tacos as my family is, there are two things to keep in mind:
- Keep your recipes simple, yet tasty
- Keep things interesting
These Mini Chicken Taco Cups are the perfect answer! They have all the flavor of a taco in a neat, bite-size morsel. Perfectly seasoned beans and chicken, melty Cotija cheese, and a bold kick of flavor from your favorite salsa on top. These taco cups also come together in an hour, and if you use a rotisserie chicken even less; that is why we make these all the time.
You can customize these savory bites
Yes, there are always options!
- You can mix and match the toppings and the spiciness to your liking.
- Salsa or Picante sauce - just use your favorite and then you choose mild, medium, or spicy for a bold experience
- Not into chicken, add seasoned shredded beef or pork, both are delicious
- Leave out the guac or cilantro if those aren’t your thing or go crazy and add more
- Let's talk shredded cheese on top, go with sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese
As you start planning your next Tuesday night dinner party (hint: you’re serving tacos and you don’t actually need to invite any guests), add these items to your grocery list and you’ve got all you need for the perfect bite-size appetizer. Or dinner. Or dessert. Can you eat tacos for dessert? Why not.
- Refried beans
- Chicken- (rotisserie chicken is great for this)
- Spices - use your favorite Mexican spices like cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, coriander
- Cotija cheese
- Sour cream
- Cilantro (for garnish)
How to make Mini Taco Cups with Tortillas
Step 1. The easiest way to make the taco cups is to cut small size rounds from 11" flour tortillas. To cut 5" round tortillas I use a plastic container as a cutter. Nothing fancy, but it works, so just look around your kitchen.
Step 2. Place a ½ tsp. of olive oil in the bottom of each cup of a muffin pan and press in the tortilla circles, then bake for 5-7 minutes. This helps crisp up the tortilla before you put the filling inside.
Step 3. Prepare the chicken by poaching for 10-12 minutes then shred into small pieces. Mix in your favorite Mexican seasonings like a sprinkle of chili powder and coriander plus salt and pepper to taste. You can definitely be creative here with all kinds of seasonings.
Step 4. In a small bowl add the refried beans and mix in 2 tablespoons of the salsa plus cumin and garlic powder.
Step 5. Next fill each cup with the seasoned refried beans, shredded chicken, and Cotija cheese.
Step 6. Bake the cups for 5-7 minutes. While they are baking prepare your toppings. My favorites are salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and a sprinkling of cilantro. All the great flavors you will find in a taco.
Step 7. Once the bites are done remove from the muffin pan and add your toppings and a sprinkling of chopped cilantro, then put all these crispy taco cups on a platter and serve.
Simple, tasty, and definitely not your average taco. Your Taco Tuesdays are about to get a lot more interesting.
We do love our tacos, and if you want something authentic These Quesabirria Tacos can't be beat for flavor.
Savory Mini Swiss Cheese Quiches are tasty small-sized quiches filled with swiss cheese and creamy egg custard. Perfect for brunch.
Cotswold Cheese Crackers are savory and perfectly crunchy with this chive-flavored cheese.
Pears, Asiago Cheese & Cranberry Puff Pastry Bites make a sweet and savory pinwheel appetizer that comes together in minutes. Add these pastries to your next cheeseboard.
More favorite recipes
Mini Chicken Taco Cups
As an Amazon Associate I earn income from qualifying purchases.Share on Facebook Pin Recipe GrowSaved!
Poaching Chicken for Shredding
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparing the taco filling
- Preheat oven to 425 °. Use a 12 cup standard muffin pan.
- With a 5" round cutter, cut 3-4 rounds from the tortillas
- Place a ¼ tsp. of olive oil in the bottom of each muffin-pan cup. Press the tortilla into the cup. Bake the tortillas for 5-7 minutes until golden brown
- Place the shredded chicken a bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons of salsa.
- Mix the refried beans, with 2 tablespoons of salsa, cumin, and garlic powder.
Assembling the Taco Cups
- Place 1 heaping teaspoon of the refried bean filling in the bottom of each taco shell. Next place 1 tablespoon of shredded chicken and top with Cotija cheese crumbles.
- Bake the taco cups for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Garnishing the Taco Cups
- Top each taco cup with sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and cilantro.
Poaching Chicken for Shredding
- In a large pot place the chicken in the bottom and season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cover the chicken with 1" of water
- Put the pot on the stove and bring to a gentle boil. Next, turn the heat down so the water comes to a simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes. The temperature should register 165°
- When done remove the chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Shred the chicken by using two forks to pull the meat apart. If the shreds are too long for your recipe you can dice the chicken.
First published: May 1, 2020, Last updated: May 25, 2022, for better readability
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? My contact information is on my about page, and I’ll be happy to help.
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory family-friendly recipes for your cooking and baking inspiration.