Don’t you love it when you find a recipe that is sinfully good and is quick and easy to make with few ingredients? Well, this is the recipe, Cottage Cheese Crescent Rolls. So when I say a few ingredients this recipe only takes three; butter, flour, and cottage cheese. Of course, there is the option to add more ingredients if you want to sweeten things up a bit, but the basic three will get you deliciously rich, flaky and buttery rolls. I added a simple almond-flavored powdered sugar icing to dress them up.
Flaky Buttery Crescent Rolls
These easy Cottage Cheese Crescent Rolls are also known as butterhorn rolls and are a favorite treat in our house. It’s hard to resist rolls that are light, tender, flaky, buttery and melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
There one ingredient in these tasty crescents that makes theses rolls amazing. Cottage Cheese! Yes, the humble white cheese curds add moistness to the rolls and makes them tender.
Here are the three ingredients for the rolls, so simple.
- Cottage Cheese
Here are the three ingredients for the almond-flavored icing
- Powdered Sugar
- Almond extract
How to make Cottage Cheese Crescent Rolls
- Make sure your butter is cold and cut into very small cubes. Optionally, you can grate the butter.
- Mix the cottage cheese, butter, and flour in a large bowl until combined
- Turn the dough out on a floured pastry cloth and form into a disk
- Roll the dough into a large circle then with a pizza cutter, cut into 16 triangles
- Roll each triangle up starting at the wide end and place on a baking sheet
- Bake until nice and golden brown
Look how nicely this dough comes together. It’s nice and moist and you can see the pieces of butter and cottage cheese.
Roll out the dough into 10 to 12″ circle then cut into four wedges. I actually use my pizza cutter for this
Cut each of the four wedges four more times and roll up starting at the widest end.
Place the rolls on a rimmed baking sheet with the rolled end down this will keep the rolls intact while baking.
And these become golden brown, tender flaky bites of deliciousness with a sweet almond icing.
It is amazing what a few simple ingredients can turn into. Bake up a batch of these delectable homemade crescent rolls for breakfast, brunch, or maybe a potluck. I guarantee everyone will love these rolls.
Sweet Crescent Rolls
Baking equipment for this recipe
I am a big fan of bite-sized treats for desserts and appetizers. Here are a few of my favorites.
Pecan Tassies are just like mini pecans pies and very easy to make.
Swiss Cheese Quiches are bite-size quiches filled with a savory egg custard.
Jelly Roll Pie Tarts are simply made with pie dough and your favorite jam or jelly, these are a favorite.
Mini Chicken Taco Cups have all the flavors of a taco but in a bite-size cups.
Let’s bake these delicious cottage cheese rolls.
Cottage Cheese Crescent Rolls
Cottage Cheese Crescent Roll Dough
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup butter, cut into small cubes
Making the crescent dough
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl add all the dough ingredients and mix with a spoon until well combined
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, wrap in plastic and chill until firm about 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface roll each dough portion into a 1/8" thick circle about 10-12 inches.
- Cut the dough circle into quarters, then cut each quarter into four smaller triangles. Roll each small wedge starting at the widest part and place each crescent on a rimmed cookie sheet, seam side down.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned. Some butter will bake out of the rolls, the colder the dough is the better.
- Move the rolls to a cooling rack.
Making the almond icing
- In a small bowl add the sifted powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. Add additional milk if the icing is too thick.
- Leave the rolls on the cooling rack and place a piece of parchment or wax paper under the rack. With a fork, drizzle the icing over the rolls.
- These rolls are best eaten the day they are made.