“One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
These best thing for dessert in the summer is ice cream. Well, actually ice cream is good anytime, but something about summer just says, give me something cold and sweet. Homemade ice cream is the best and today’s recipe for Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream Sundaes is no churn so it’s quick, easy, and tasty.
The Best Dessert in Summer is Ice Cream
I’m curious, does anyone out there remember making ice cream the old fashion way with the crank ice cream maker, ice and salt? You had to hand crank that ice cream maker for a long time, adding ice and salt to make it freeze, then you had to let it sit wrapped in blankets to harden. It took forever! That ice cream was the best, but it took some serious planning ahead to get it done.
I do own a cute little electric ice cream maker and it does make some tasty ice cream, but sometimes I like simple. And not everyone has space for an ice cream maker that you only pull out once or twice a year (if you’re like me, that is). Let’s hear a heck yeah! for no-churn ice cream.
Adding mix-ins to ice cream adds some extra flavors and textures to make your own signature flavor. It’s now getting personal. To celebrate the Fourth of July, let’s get all Red, White, and Blue with everyone’s favorite chocolate candy, M&M’s.
Even if we’re not churning the ice cream, it still has to freeze. Otherwise, you just have (very sweet and tasty) milk. I think letting the ice cream freeze overnight is best to develop the flavors but this no-churn ice cream can freeze for six hours and still taste yummy.
If you want a simple recipe for ice cream try the no-churn method. Let me entice you.
- 3 basic ingredients (whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, and flavoring)
- No cooking a custard and hoping it sets up
- No ice cream maker needed
- You can add all kinds of fun flavors and mix-ins
- It takes 10 minutes to mix up the ice cream and pour it into a freezer container – so quick
- It’s simply delicious
Have I convinced you yet? Great! Let’s go.
M&M’s make a perfect candy to add to ice cream. I just chop them up and add them in layers to the ice cream. Once the candies get mixed in, they get hard and a little bit crunchy which I love. Plus you get all the colors of the candy.
You can even dress up the top of the pan of ice cream with some chocolate drizzle, whipped cream and some whole M&M’s. This looks great if you are going to scoop with ice cream out of the pan.
These are the ingredients you need to make these creamy, crunchy sundaes
- Whipping Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Maraschino Cherries
Really, we don’t have time for a complicated dessert. We have fireworks to watch.
This is how easy it is to make Red, White, and Blue M&M Ice Cream Sundaes
- Chop the M&M’s
- Whip heavy cream
- Fold in sweetened condensed milk
- Layer the milk mixture with the M&M’s
- Let freeze for at least 6-hours
Let’s make ice cream!
Red, White & Blue M&M Ice Cream Sundaes
Making the ice cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk, cold
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 oz. M&M's, chopped
Ice Cream Toppings
- cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 cup fudge
- M&M for the top
- Maraschino Cherries for the top
Making the Ice Cream
- In a large bowl beat the cold whipped cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla into the whipped cream to combine.
- Chop the M&M's
- Pour 1/3 of the ice cream mixture into a loaf pans. Sprinkle with the chopped M&M's. Repeat again. Add some whole M&M's on top. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
Making the Red, White & Blue Ice Cream Sundaes
- In a small bowl whip the cream until stiff.
- Add a small amount of fudge to the bottom of each glass
- Scoop two large balls of ice cream into each glass
- Top the ice cream with fudge, whipped cream, M&M's and a cherry
Frozen and ready for scooping. I love how the candy coating melts into the ice cream.
It’s time for dessert and look how delicious these sundaes look with this creamy vanilla ice cream filled with colorful crunchy candies
Check out some more fun recipes from One Hot Oven
My favorite Peach Blackberry Ice Cream the No-Churn way uses those juicy fresh summer peaches and sweet blackberries.
For more Red, White and Blue fun try these Firework Surprise Inside Cookies. A perfect cookie to add to your picnic basket or dessert table.
Make sure to save to your Pinterest Board for when you want a cool and creamy dessert.
Shop this post
These ice cream sundaes look so nice in these pretty sundae glasses, they make you feel like you are at an ice cream parlor.
A good ice cream scoop is essential for making nice round balls of ice cream and the Zeroll Ice Cream Scoop is my favorite. Just give the scoop a shake to warm up the fluid inside and scoop away. This is handwash only.
Red, White and Blue M&M’s make this ice cream colorful and tasty.
Don’t forget to wave the flag for the 4th of July.
Wishing everyone a fun and happy summer filled with family, friends, good and celebrations.
Blessings to all ~ Jere’