California is known for growing all types of food. Just take a drive down any major freeway from Northern to Southern California and you will see food being grown. Tomatoes, artichokes, sunflowers, almonds, walnuts, mandarins, lettuce, grapes, garlic, strawberries, melons, and even hops are just a few of the crops I see daily.
I feel blessed to also have daily farmer’s markets and farm stands that supply fresh fruits and veggies. The farmers love sharing information about their crops and will let you know when the peaches are ripening, the best tomatoes for making a sauce, or that you better get your Gravenstein apples this week because what they have is the last of this year’s crop.
- Let's visit Davis Ranch in Sloughhouse, CA
- 🌽 Sloughhouse Corn
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob
- 🎃They have Pumpkins of all sizes
- 🍉Good Old Fashioned Watermelons
- 🌾 Corn Stalks and Lavender
- Davis Ranch at Sloughhouse
- Sloughhouse U-PICK
- Recipes with just picked fruits and veggies
- Fruit tips and tricks
- Follow One Hot Oven
Let's visit Davis Ranch in Sloughhouse, CA
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Thanks to my friends Shane and Genevieve from Fittyfoodlicious for the wonderful behind-the-scenes tour of this family-owned working farm.
Close to Sacramento, there is a well-known farm stand called Davis Ranch in Sloughhouse, California. This is the place to get your pumpkins, strawberries, squash, gourds, pickling cucumbers, green beans, peaches, asparagus, and corn stalks; and everything is non-GMO.
What Davis Ranch is known for is its corn. Sloughhouse Corn has a reputation, it’s simply the best corn you can get. This corn is super sweet and tender and you can get yellow corn, white corn, and my favorite the yellow and white corn mix.
With over 500 acres of land, Davis ranch grows a lot of food. With its humble beginnings in 1940, this farm has been a mainstay for almost 80 years.
🌽 Sloughhouse Corn
Of course, we have to start with the corn. As you drive up to Davis Ranch you can see the massive cornfield where the corn is picked daily. It just can't get any fresher than this.
Look behind the counter for piles of fresh corn getting cleaned and bagged for sale. Grab a paper bag at the counter that's filled with 8 or 12 ears of corn.
How to Grill Corn on the Cob
I specially visited the ranch today just for corn for a cookout. There are so many ways to cook corn, but we love to Grill Corn in the husks right on top of the barbeque. Grilling corn is easy and the kernels get that beautiful and tasty char. Don't forget the butter and salt!
🍓 The Strawberry Patch
You can also pick your own strawberries at Davis Ranch. But this isn't your typical strawberry patch. Here, there are rows and rows of unique stacking strawberry pots with berries growing from all sides.
There are bins of different squash from little to big and green to orange. These Red Kuri squash are perfect for soups, curries, and baked goods.
🎃They have Pumpkins of all sizes
🍉Good Old Fashioned Watermelons
🌾 Corn Stalks and Lavender
Davis Ranch at Sloughhouse
Did you know you can pick your own produce at Davis Ranch? What better way to get fresh veggies than to pick your own.
- I am a firm believer that everyone needs to see where their food is grown. Food doesn't grow in the grocery stores, it grows in the dirt with the help of amazing farmer's who put in hours of hard work. It is worth seeing fruits and vegetables at all stages of growth, and that not every piece of produce is perfect like we have come to know from the beautiful grocery store displays.
- Fruit and vegetables are seasonal and this is when they are the most nutritious - why not pick what is in season?
- If you like canning and freezing this is the perfect place to get your fruits and vegetables.
- You can pick Peppers, Squash, Tomatoes, and Eggplants and other items when available. The strawberries are not included in this but make sure to pick a few baskets too.
July through Mid-November
Sunrise - 1pm
$.30 Per lb
Does not include the Pick Your Own Strawberry patch
Recipes with just picked fruits and veggies
Homemade Bread and Butter Pickles are so easy to make with pickling cucumbers, sugar, vinegar, and pickling spices.
Try our favorite strawberry recipes
- Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are a fun way to make dessert during a cookout.
- This No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake is filled with juicy strawberries and tender pieces of cake.
- Strawberry Chardonnay Gelee is an updated gelatin dessert that is so refreshing to eat and so easy to make.
Fruit tips and tricks
- Try this tip to Keeping Strawberries Fresh, a perfect way to keep your just-picked berries for over a week.
- If you cook and bake with lemons this guide will help you determine How Much Juice Is In One Lemon. I'll give you a hint...it varies.
- We all love summer fruit but what about the fruit in winter. This guide will help you pick the Best Fruit in Season During Winter.
Thank you for visiting One Hot Oven today and I hope if you live nearby Davis Ranch you will stop by for a visit.
Follow One Hot Oven
Like what you see? Make sure you are following One Hot Oven for more tasty sweet and savory recipes!
Thank you for stopping by the One Hot Oven blog. Please leave a comment to say Hello or just let me know what you are baking these days, I always love hearing from fellow bakers. Have any questions or just want to chat about the recipe? Contact me here, and I’ll be happy to help!
From learning to cook on a farm in Indiana to culinary school in California, my passion for food is never-ending. Turning on my oven to bake something for friends and family is my happy place, and I am glad to be here at One Hot Oven sharing both sweet and savory recipes with all my baking friends.