“One Hot Oven is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”
It’s sprinkle time again! Look what I found, these pretty pastel sprinkles right in time for Easter cookies, and they are perfect for making my favorite Surprise Inside Easter Cookies.
These cookies add so much color to any celebration you are having. Let the kids or even Grandma join in for some special cookie making moments, everyone loves rolling the dough in sprinkles.
~Everyone loves sprinkles~
I know you are thinking ~ those sprinkles are AWESOME! They are like little jewels.
You are going to love this cookie recipe because you can change up the surprise part of this cookie which is the inside. Usually, the inside cookie is chocolate, but you can match the middle cookie to the season or the color of the sprinkles. For Valentine’s Day, you can make the middle cookie layer red velvet.
This is where you can use your imagination and decide what the inside cookie should be. For my Surprise Inside Easter Cookies, I wanted to flavor the inside with raspberry flavoring and tint it pink. However, if you like mint that would be a great idea too. You do what suits your fancy today.
Once you make the dough just divide it up in to make the two different flavors. Use 2/3 of the dough for the outer part and 1/3 of the dough of the center surprise.
The dough is ready for rolling ~
- Flavor the inside dough using Raspberry flavoring by LorAnn’s and tint with gel pink food color.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop 25 balls of the plain dough and scoop 25 teaspoons of the tinted dough and roll into balls.
- Press the larger ball into a flat disk, then put the small ball inside it and fold the dough around it, then roll into a ball.
Viola! You now have a large cookie ball that is ready to roll.
Put those colorful sprinkles in a big bowl so you can roll the cookie balls in it.
Now, and this is super important, once you roll the dough’s together into the bigger ball you need to immediately roll the cookie in the sprinkles. Why you ask, because the dough will be a bit sticky from rolling and the sprinkles will stick to it, otherwise your cookie will be bald.
How cute are these cookies? But wait, you gotta see the surprise inside.
Mmm, a rich buttery cookie with a tender raspberry flavored surprise center all covered in tiny pastel sprinkles. Do you see why I love these cookies so much?
Surprise Inside Easter Cookie Recipe ~
Surprise Inside Easter Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/4 tsp. LorAnn Raspberry Flavoring
- pink food coloring
- 5 oz. or more colored nonpareils
- In a large bowl mix the butter until fluffy.
- Add the sugar, baking powder and salt; mix until combined
- Mix in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour until combined, forming a soft dough.
- Remove 3/4 cup of the dough to a small bowl and add the pink food coloring and the LorAnn's flavoring. Mix well to incorporate
- Measure out 1 tablespoon of butter dough and make 25 balls with the dough
- Using a teaspoon roll the raspberry flavored dough into 25 1" balls.
- Flatten the butter flavored dough and place a raspberry dough ball in the center and mold the dough around it to make a round ball.
- Roll the ball in the nonpareil sprinkles and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes at 375 degrees.
Time for tea and cookies with my bunny friends and my favorite Earl Grey.
Make sure to pin for later when you want to bake these delicious cookies.
Surprise Inside Cookies are perfect for so many occasions.
Let’s go shopping for our cookie supplies.
The Wilton Spring Nonpareil Sprinkles area must for these cookies. For flavorings, I always use LorAnns Oils and I keep this box of 12 gel food coloring on hand. I love the assortment. Lastly, I go through parchment paper like crazy and buying them precut saves time.
Wishing you all a very happy spring and Easter.